Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Renovation in Delaware

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Renovation in Delaware

Very old pool renovation in Northern Delaware. We are having the following done:
    - Removed about 1000 sqft old concrete decking from around pool to be replaced with pavers.
    - New coping to match Pavers.
    - New Tile line.
    - Replaster pool.

Here's some photos of old pool before demo:

pool1.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    pool3.jpg

Start of demo (this project began on 5/13/2016:

Time Lapse of first day of demo:

Day 1 Timelapse

New Coping and Tile:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Renovation in Delaware

That's a whole lotta "re-do"! Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Nice old pool! That is gonna be great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What a beautiful setting!
    I love watching the transformations of remodels. Your new tile and coping are super pretty! Thanks for sharing!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but we are having difficulty deciding on which plaster finish to choose. Given our tile/coping choices, does anyone have any suggestions? Our pool builder was suggesting Stonescapes mini pebble Mauve, which does look beautiful. We are just concerned about the pool being too "purple" - especially the steps. The other suggestion was a french gray.

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave,

Here are some pictures of my pool which was just completed. Looks like we have the same coping and tile color. Wife and I went with medium grey plaster. It was done about 2 weeks ago and seems to be becoming more uniform in color and darkening some.

I live only 20 minutes from Wilmington, so if you want to see it in person you are more than welcome to.

Ryan
    New salt diving pool started in February 2016. Approximately 42x20 kidney shape. 100 sq/ft tanning shelf. White Plaster. 2 Pentair 5g Color LEDs and 1 Color Globrite LED. All Pentair equipment. DE filter. Kreepy Krauly 820 robotic cleaner. EZ touch wireless system. 860 sq/ft Techo-Bloc paver patio with matching fire-pit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I like the time lapse. We went to a lot of pools to check out finishes before we made a choice. It was a tough choice. If you go to check out other pools, bring some extra tiles with you.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

8. Back To Top    #8

Because you are redoing an old pool you want to be sure that you add or renovate the electrical bonding system at the same time. That means a grid under the deck attached to the pool bonding system and make sure the pool has a water bond.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Gwegan - Thanks for the tip/information. The builder is placing new bonding around pool under the new patio and tying into the existing bonding to the light niche (this is possibly the water bond?) on the deep end as well as a few pieces of rebar from the pool that were exposed during demo.

rccarps2 - I really appreciate your feedback on the finish. Do you have any regrets about the medium gray finish? Our builder does have a pool she renovated not too far from us with mini pebble french gray. We are hoping to be able to visit it this weekend but will definitely keep your offer in mind if that falls through.

10. Back To Top    #10

No regrets so far. The mottling was a little more than expected at first, but it is clearing up as the plaster is curing.

Everyone who sees it loves it, and we are very happy we went with a color over the standard white plaster. Added benefit will be the sun heating the pool during the summer more than white would. Our PB said with the sun exposure we get (8 plus hours) our pool will be pretty warm by mid summer, and that's without a heater.

FYI, mine is just a standard plaster, not the pebble type you are mentioning above.

Ryan
    New salt diving pool started in February 2016. Approximately 42x20 kidney shape. 100 sq/ft tanning shelf. White Plaster. 2 Pentair 5g Color LEDs and 1 Color Globrite LED. All Pentair equipment. DE filter. Kreepy Krauly 820 robotic cleaner. EZ touch wireless system. 860 sq/ft Techo-Bloc paver patio with matching fire-pit.

11. Back To Top    #11

So the pool is finished. We decided to go with the Mauve mini pebble finish. I really think the finish looks good with the paver/tile/coping choices, however, I am dealing with an issue. I can't get the skimmer to work - it seems there is an air leak somewhere. The main drain is working fine. Everything worked great when I closed it last year so I'm thinking something broke during the renovation.