Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about opening pool

Hi all. I am about to open my pool tomorrow and forgot what could be a very important step. When I closed the pool after the summer I drained all the water out of the sand filter. I hooked everything back up and would like to know if I have to add water into the filter or can I just attach all my hoses and allow the pump to do its job to get the water in the filter? Also, what setting should I set the multipurpose valve when I first start? Should I backwash or is it OK to just put it to normal operation and hope for the best? Thank you

Salt Water 8000 AGP 12' X 18' X 54" - Hayward S166T 16" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump - Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Generator System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about opening pool

If the water level is high enough, you can just let the pump fill up the filter.

If you backwashed the filter at the end of last year, then you can just set the multiport valve to 'filter' to start with.

By the same token, if you backwashed it at the end of last year, I wouldn't worry about backwashing it to begin with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about opening pool

OK cool. Thank you . Going to start it up right now and hope all goes well.

Salt Water 8000 AGP 12' X 18' X 54" - Hayward S166T 16" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump - Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Generator System