Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water with perfect numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water with perfect numbers

I opened my pool, cleaned out the junk, slammed and balanced using BBB, and my numbers seem to be right, but the water is still cloudy after a few days. I passed the overnight test and I am wondering if I need to slam again, give it time, or is there something else not showing in the tests that I should be looking for?

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.7
    TA: 100
    CH: 230
    CYA: 35

Thanks!
    ------------------------
    30K Gallon Vinyl Inground
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water with perfect numbers

A SLAM is not a one time event, it is continuous until all three criteria are passed.

Re-read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I guess I am rusty after a long winter
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Hehe back to shock FC for you and maintain until you can read the year off a quarter at the bottom of the pool! Just kidding. Mine clears faster with at least one brush a day and a vacuum every few days. You can do a test pass with the vacuum and, at least for me, the bottom (through the cloudy water) looks stronger blue. That's how I know I need to vac the whole pool when I'm clearing up cloudy. Don't forget to watch that psi gauge and do appropriate filter care as needed.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Assuming that your filter is working correctly. Its worth a look.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BattleOfYakima View Post
    Hehe back to shock FC for you and maintain until you can read the year off a quarter at the bottom of the pool!
    I shocked last night as suggested and came home from work today to a crystal clear pool. I can literally read the date off a quarter on the bottom of the pool

I am pretty sure if I went to my local pool store, they would have sold me clarifiers and other junk. This forum is so helpful and saves me so much $$, I just became a Gold supporter!

Long live TFP and BBB!

Thank you all!
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by poolnj View Post
    I shocked last night as suggested and came home from work today to a crystal clear pool. I can literally read the date off a quarter on the bottom of the pool

I am pretty sure if I went to my local pool store, they would have sold me clarifiers and other junk. This forum is so helpful and saves me so much $$, I just became a Gold supporter!

Long live TFP and BBB!

Thank you all!
    Best to do the OCLT to make sure it's safe to let the FC drop!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Best to do the OCLT to make sure it's safe to let the FC drop!
    I agree. Many folks stop he SLAM just a little too soon before all the bad stuff is eradicated and regret it later.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon