Opening pool chemistry

May 20, 2016
Chesapeake
OK, I filled my pool today and added my CYA per the calculater (30oz by volume). I added bleach while cleaning the liner and couldnt help but test the pH, CYA and chlorine levels wit my fancy new kit. pH didnt look very close to the lowest color of my kit. I am assuming this is normal considering CYA is acidic and its currently circulating and not completely dissolved. CYA was less than 30...of course it was less than 24 hours since adding it. pH was less than 7.0 from what I can gather. chlorine was 2.5, I used 10ml and it took 5 drops. Should I just retest in the morning?

If the TA was also low, like below 50, and the pH is low, your pH is waaaay down into the 6s somewhere. You need to raise it. CYA is a mild acid, it shouldn't affect pH that much unless the pool is already suffering from low pH and low TA. Now you see why we ask for a full set of test results. Less back-and-forth; an instant answer is possible when given all the facts.

attachment.php

You'll lose pretty much all your FC in a couple hours without any CYA, so if yours isn't fully dissolved, losing some is to be expected. It's a fresh fill, so there shouldn't be any algae in the water yet. Leave it for tomorrow.

Thank you. It was raining as I was trying to do my tests and I figured I would just wait since the CYA needed to be dissolved. I will run a fully tomorrow morning and update from there. I am new at this testing stuff so I am unsure I am doing it right. I appreciate your help!

Thank you. It was raining as I was trying to do my tests and I figured I would just wait since the CYA needed to be dissolved. I will run a fully tomorrow morning and update from there. I am new at this testing stuff so I am unsure I am doing it right. I appreciate your help!
Here's a tip: grab a sample in some kind of plastic (no glass around the pool) container and carry it somewhere comfortable to do your testing. The CYA requires full sunlight to get a reading, but you can mix it indoors if need be. So kitchen counter, patio table, wherever. You don't have to do it squatting next to the pool in the rain.

pH is still 7.0. Should I give it more time?

The water is holding Chlorine really well (this was a problem before) so I am very excited about this.

There is a lot of debris in the water because I hadnt got the cover on and of course my vacuum broke yesterday so thats no good. I wonder if I can connect a hose or 2 to one of the filter intakes and put a mesh bag over it to use while I am saving for a new vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.