Newbie Here - Pump Upgrade With Possible Solar Hose System

Hi Everyone,
Been conducting a lot of research online and cannot find a good clear understanding for what i'm trying to do. TFP seems to be the best place for being helpful and providing honest feedback

Bought my farm 4 years ago with the pool already installed (built in 1994) Pool is 18x36 and estimated 27,000 gal. It has an Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter, 62 GPM, model no. S-244T along with a Hayward Max-Flo single speed 1 hp pump with all pipe sizes being 1 1/2 inches. There are two skimmers at 20' and 50' from the pump. There are 4 returns, 2 on the side at 40' and 52' from pump. The stairs has 2 returns at 15' from pump. One floor drain in the deep end. No other water features installed. I had a new vinyl liner installed in 2015. From what i was told, the filter and pump was the original equipment installed in 1994. Pump and filter are sheltered from the weather elements.

1) The pump is starting to make a light noise on start-up, bearings Im guessing. With the pumps age and from my understanding, being more of an entry level one, I looking at buying new and upgrading to a 2 speed or VS pump. Having 1 1/2 flow lines restricts my options. So i would like to have some feedback on your thoughts of brand name along with pump sizing (1hp or 1.5hp ) for what i have listed above.

2) Something else i'm considering on trying. Just below my pool, I have a large area that i could run several hundred feet of black hose (drip line) and tie it into my pool pump system. The head from where this material would be is estimated about 25' below the pool pump level. If a system like this would work, how would it change the calculations on sizing the new pool pump for the above pool spec's. Lowe's and Home Depot sells this in 5/8" 500' rolls for around $45.00. Ive read online where several say this does help in increasing the water temps.
Thanks and hopefully these questions aren't to confusing
Fish-On

Welcome to TFP!

A variable speed pump will give you the most flexibility for dialing in a good flow rate for whatever you need. This pump is a good option, here are a couple of places to get one,
Pentair VS PUMP VAR SPEED W/ TIMER SUPER FLO PUMP 115/230V - 342001 - INYOPools.com

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 sunplay.com

Black tubing is not nearly as efficient of an option for solar heating as a solar panel is. 500' of tubing is at best 26sf of surface area, 1 12x4 solar panel is 48sf. Solar heating is all about square feet of surface area and moving water through it. You would be much better off tracking down some panels on craigslist or ebay.

If you aren't using a solar cover you would get a LOT more bang (heat) for your buck buying a cheap, 8 mil solar cover to stop heat loss over night or on windy days.

Thanks pooldv for the feedback,
I did forget to mention i do use a 12 mil solar blanket. I looked up the pump you mentioned, looks like a great choice

The reason i was thinking about using black tubing was the restricted area around the pool and on the roof for panels. The area i have for tubing would be out of site and in direct sunlight majority of the full day. I could run 10 rolls of 500 ft in full length not coiled, giving me somewhere around 260 sf, i could even add more if needed. These are just numbers i am just throwing out, not sure what would be the correct number even if it would work. These hoses would just be laying next to each other, connected with elbows. I could buy 10-500ft rolls for $450 dollars, again just looking to see if this is completely a bad ideal. I have 1/2 inch connection block off plugs just before the pump and on the return line out of the filter to tap into - thanks again

No, it doesn't seem like a totally horrible idea. I am just throwing out some ideas here. I have no idea if this will work. My logic is trying to make it work similar to how solar panels are plumbed. You would need to build a manifold to feed the tubing and another to collect the water from them. A 2" pipe with 10 outlets, one to each roll of tubing, and then back to 1 inlets into a 2" pipe. The idea is for each roll of tubing to receive the same water flow, just like solar panels do. Maybe mount the tubing on some CDX or pressure treated plywood stained black.

I think coiled up is OK, what isn't good is running it through 5000' of tubing. It won't take long before the water isn't picking up any more heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.