Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help-pump won't turn off

1. Back To Top    #1

Help-pump won't turn off

Tonight after vacuuming I attempted to turn my pump off at the outside control panel ( Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch) and it does not respond. I can switch to low speed but I cannot turn the pump all the way off. That is, the "pump" button is not working but the aux 2 low speed) does respond.

Obviously I can cut power at the breaker box, but any ideas? Is this a sign of a bad relay, bad Aqualink board, or bad pump (it is only 18 months old).

Thanks for any help--
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help-pump won't turn off

Well, I walked out there 10 minute later and it had shut itself down. Reading through the searches about this it sounds like it might be a sticky relay. I assume this means it is on its way out.

Is this a simple job: turn off power, detach simle wire leads, replace relay, or is there something more involved ie soldering etc
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no soldering, just wire screw terminals.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking at the owners manual, it is not obvious which relay to buy? I see 3HP and 1.5 HP jandy relays for sale. My assumption is the 3 HP is the right one for my pump (see signature)?

Is there anything special about relays I need to pay attention to, in regards to electrical ratings. I'd hate to fry something. I'm just savvy enough to turn the breaker off and use a multimeter, but that's it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Give INYO pools a call they can help with this, they sell Jandy relays.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach