No chlorine and cloudy

May 22, 2016
Sewell, NJ
We just bought this house last year, and the people did nothing to the pool for over a year. After a summer of he$$, replacing the entire filter and pump we had a great ending to the summer. This year it seems the mesh cover is a pain in the butt again. We opened the pool two weeks ago. We immediately shocked the pool with 3 containers of liquid chlorine. The huge ones. Then we added a entire container of algeacide-which we now know was WAY TOO MUCH! Besides the foam, which is annoying and funny at the same time, we cannot get a chlorine reading. We were told to shock the pool, we did-still no chlorine. Then we were told to add phos free (our phosphates where off the wall) and 1 lb of soda ash. Our levels were all over the place.

Our pool is blue, but cloudy. We have not vacuumed cuz we cannot see the bottom. We have back washed the everyday until the bottle on the filter runs clear. We are so confused. I'm am heading back to the pool store tomorrow, but curious to see what you guys say. Here are the readings from today.

FREE CHLORINE: 0 (it has never gone up) the tab is white as could be on the test strip.
PH: 6.8
TA: 40
TH: 100
CYA: 0-50

any suggestions would help. Thank you

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have thrown everything in your pool the pool store tells you to, you get 0 results, and you are heading back tomorrow, is that correct?

We can help but your first order of business will be to stay out of the pool store.

For now, I hope you will take the time to start at our beginning,,,,,read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That gives you a basic understanding of what you are trying to accomplish and how you can do it.

Next, and here's the big leap of faith, you need to order one of the suggested kits that we outline in Pool School and take charge of managing the pool yourself. You'll have to get rid of those worthless strips and start testing with a kit that will tell you what you need to know.

I'll let others chime in but I hope you'll decide to change your path. You be enjoying your pool the rest of the summer.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't get this way overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store advice or testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.