Salt effects on algae in non-SWG pool

Bach

May 13, 2009
The following note in the Chlorine/CYA chart led me to register and ask a question:

Note 2: Most saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools appear to prevent algae at a minimum FC level of 4.5% of the CYA level as compared with the roughly 7.5% of the CYA level shown in the "Min FC" column for manually dosed pools.

So a SWG pool can be maintained at a lower FC target than a manually (bleach for me) dosed pool - is this due to the salt effects only or does it also have to do with the chlorine generation process in a SWG. In other words, if I add salt to my non-SWG pool, can I then maintain a lower FC target level and still prevent algae at the SWG applicable FC targets?

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't because of the salt. A number of people have added salt without having a SWG and not seen any change in the FC level required.

I don't know of any proof, but it is generally believed that a SWG works with a lower FC level because it exposed some of the water to super high FC levels inside the cell.

It could also be the regular dosing to keep the chlorine level very consistent. If that were the case, then those with automatic dosing systems, such as peristaltic pumps and The Liquidator, might also be able to use the lower SWG chlorine levels. We don't have enough people using such systems to know if this is the case since the chlorine chart is conservative and accommodates pools that are rich in algal nutrients (i.e. high in phosphates and/or nitrates).

I'm sure the superchlorination of a portion of the water going through the SWG cell helps, but we don't know how much that is a factor relative to the consistent dosing.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.