Backup problem

Apr 24, 2014
Kansas
I had a new problem when opening the pool this year. I can't find anything even similar in the forum. Everything seems to be working OK, water is clear, pump is working fine, filter pressure is the same as usual. But when I shut off the pump, all the water from the filter, pump, and hoses shoots up out of the skimmer. About 6 feet in the air plus back into the pool. Very suddenly and every time. You have enough warning from the gurgling to get out of the way. Barely.
I don't even know if the problem is with the filter, the pump, or something else. It's like there's a valve that should be preventing that, isn't working. Is there such a thing? I really need some ideas.

Easy. Your filter is full of air.

The bubble compresses under pressure when the pump is on. As soon as the pressure is off, it expands and forces the water out of the filter.

Open the air bleed on top of the filter with the pump running until the air is all gone. The problem should go away. If it reappears, you need to find out where the air is getting in. Failure to fill the vacuum hose before connecting it? Low water level? Suction side air leak? Could be any or all.

Oh, and welcome! :wave:

Sorry, I didn't mention I'd already tried that. All the air is out when I start the pump. It's only after I shut it off that it gets full of air. I bleed off all the air before starting the pump again.

I should also mention I haven't run the vacuum yet this year. Plenty of water, a little on the high side, and I'm not sure what you mean by suction side air leak?

And thank you for the welcome. Been a member for awhile, but this is the first time I've had a problem I couldn't find the answer for.

Start with the Suction Side Air leak article in Pool School. That'll define the suction side to you and you can start to eliminate some things. These leaks are often hard to find but very easy to fix when you do.

I read it and based on that, went and got a new O-ring for the pump basket. I wasn't very pleased with the fit of it though, it was a lot looser than the one I took off. But I ran it a couple minutes and it didn't back up when I shut it off. I'll probably know for sure tomorrow. One of the workers there seemed sure it was the sand that either needed cleaned or replaced. So I also got the chemical to clean it if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that WAS soon. Already started doing it again. Same as before. I still think I'm on the right track because it was pretty good for a few days. But if not, how likely is the leak to be in the small plug under the pump basket? It seems to have silicone around it so I didn't take it out to check it.

Well, that WAS soon. Already started doing it again. Same as before. I still think I'm on the right track because it was pretty good for a few days. But if not, how likely is the leak to be in the small plug under the pump basket? It seems to have silicone around it so I didn't take it out to check it.
That's the drain plug for winterizing. They have an O-ring under the integral washer, If someone's got it all globbed up with silicon, there's probably a problem with that one, too.

That's the drain plug for winterizing. They have an O-ring under the integral washer, If someone's got it all globbed up with silicon, there's probably a problem with that one, too.

I bought it new, that's just the way it came. I'm not sure it's silicone, but that's what it feels like around it. Do you think I need to revisit the basket O-ring then?

After buying yet another new O-ring, which was apparently too small, I ordered 3 new ones from 3 different sellers. The first one that came seemed to do what the others were supposed to. I haven't had any more geysers when I shut it off. I also had the valve on the filter taken apart and a new metal washer put on where a plastic one had a chip in it. That solved the leaking around the top of the valve.
Thanks so much for all the ideas from everyone. I really appreciate each and every one who helped me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.