Pool Pump Size/Problems

May 22, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Hello! My husband and I recently bought a home that included an Above Ground Pool. We successfully navigated last year's pool season, thanks to all the help on this forum! This year, we started up our pool with no problems. However, our pool pump has suddenly stopped working. It is making a humming sound, and flips the breaker over and over. In trying to research what to do to fix it, we began to wonder if the pool pump was even the correct size for our pool to begin with, and began to question if we should just buy a new pool pump rather than trying to fix what we have. However, I have found the world of pool pumps confusing to navigate. I wonder if some of you might have some advice to help.

Our pool is an above-ground round pool, with a 24 ft. diameter. It holds about 13,500 gallons.
The sand filter and pool pump are both the brand "Millennium" (or Waterway), and came with the house so I am not sure of their age. I have struggled to identify the exact size and power of our filter and pump, as it is not clearly marked. While the filter size is not marked on the label, it has a 27" circumference. Near as I can tell, the Pump is a 1.5 HP pump. Last summer, we were not getting a ton of pressure (7-10 psi), but the pool cleaned fairly quickly and we didn't have any trouble with it.

Any insight as to whether the filter/pump set up is appropriate for our size pool? From what research I have been able to do myself, it seems like the pump may have too much horsepower for our pool. Should we replace the pump, or attempt to fix it?

Welcome to TFP :)

your pump may be a little big but your sand filter is great, that is an oversized filter :)

Can you post a picture of the label on the pump, it will tell us what you have..

It may be as easy as replacing the capacitor on the pump depending on what type it is...

Here is a 2 speed waterway pump that would save you money on low speed if you need to replace it..
Amazon.com : 1 HP 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115 volts Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway brand - With large Debris Ba : Swimming And Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

Let us know :)

It sure sounds like the capacitor is bad, the good part is it can be replaced :)

Check this video out and see what capacitor it is.. Lowes, HD, or wherever HVAC supplies are sold may have one

The one in the video is on amazon but you need to get the one for your pump... This might be like yours>>> Packard 110-125V Start Capacitor 161-193 MFD: Vehicle Amplifier Capacitors: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

With that said, the capacitor may not fix it and you will need to buy a new one, but try this first unless you just want a new one...

How To Replace a Pool Pump Capacitor - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.