I've had it!! Filter issues/solar issues

zelda610

Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2016
Elk Grove
Hi,

I've been reading your forum for a while now and I decided to finally ask for help.

I have a 17,500 gal in-ground pool, pebble tech
Sta-rite 3 filter
Pentair Variable speed pump
Pentair pool sweep with booster pump
Sun touch controller (don't get me started)
Roof panel solar

We have had the pool aprx 6 years. Beginning great, but then it seemed the next year and every year since then we have trouble with air in the system. This also seems to occur only after the solar gets turned on, but that could be a coincidence.

I have a pool service to do chemicals and skimmer baskets. I clean the filter cartridges. So far, I have cleaned them three times in the last month and a half this year. The second time I soaked them overnight with dish soap as per the site. Now again the system has too much air in it, the sweep won't run and the solar sounds like a marbles coming down the pipes. We replaced the filter cartridges last year.

The pool itself looks great, the chemicals are okay except the CYA is a little high, it is down at this time to 120 ppm from 220 ppm in the fall (thank god California got rain).

What am I doing wrong here????

Thanks so much for any comments or directing me to another posting.

Zelda610

Hi Zelda and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, first we can assume that an SWG will generate "some" air bubbles, but certainly not to the point that it should be a problem with performance in your system. If you are getting lots of air in your system, specifically seen in your pump strainer basket, then that would indicate a suction side air leak. Now I will also say that there's a difference between an obvious suction side leak where air is trapped under the clear lid of the strainer basket, as opposed to low return jet pressure that may be a result of clogged filters. The reason I mention that is because you said you've cleaned your filters 3Xs this last month, and you should not have to do that with TFP-clear water.

By any chance can you post a full set of test results? Also, here is the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page in case you want to try any of these troubleshooting procedures. I'm very curious to see your water results though. :)

Welcome to TFP Zelda :)

I have to ask because you said you have been reading here for a while.. Is there a reason you are not testing your own water, you say the numbers a good but we almost always see numbers are not good.. is the pool service just telling you they are good?

At 200 sq ft filter it should be good, it is on the small side but normal for your size pool...

How much air comes out of the air bleeder valve on the top of the filter and how fast is it coming back again..

Are your valve's opening all the way once solar is selected?

Let us know :)

Welcome to TFP Zelda :)

I have to ask because you said you have been reading here for a while.. Is there a reason you are not testing your own water, you say the numbers a good but we almost always see numbers are not good.. is the pool service just telling you they are good?

At 200 sq ft filter it should be good, it is on the small side but normal for your size pool...

How much air comes out of the air bleeder valve on the top of the filter and how fast is it coming back again..

Are your valve's opening all the way once solar is selected?

Let us know :)

Okay,

I have to admit your right. I do need to check my own chemicals. That's one thing I'm doing wrong

I need to buy that TF-100 test kit.

In the meantime I did use my little testing kit from the pool store. The pH is good at about 7.4. The chlorine is a little high. According to the test strip i used (again I apologize and will get more accurate information with the new kit) the water is very hard. This does not surprise me as have very hard water here in Elk Grove, CA. The CYA is still running high.

I bled the air bleeder and it came out water right away. The solar was not on when I did this. I tried running the sweep since the solar was off, but nothing.

I do see a small bubble on top of the filter basket. I poured water over the top of the filter basket to check for air, but nothing.

By the way, when the solar is on and I'm out front of my house you can hear the air running through, it makes a definite noise. and yes the valves completely open when the solar is on.

Anyway, I will repost when I get the new kit and check the chemicals again.

Thank you for all your help.

PS. My dad was a chemist who made rocket fuel. He never wanted a pool because it was too much work! I should have listened to my dad! JK, love my pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

FYI, the chlorine "a little high" is likely actually way too low. For a CYA of 120ppm, the FC should never be below 9ppm ... which is likely way off the scale of your test strip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.