Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP center drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP center drain?

Hi all, I have a probably easy question for the veterans out there.

I have a 24' x 4' round pool, installing a new overlapping liner on it. My question is that my pool has a center drain, and I am a little foggy on how to install the liner on to that. Is the drain even really necessary? Could I not just remove and fill the hole and eliminate the piping and go on with my life not having to worry about it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP center drain?

Hello and welcome to TFP. Can you operate without a MD? Sure. Many do ... I don't have one. In fact, many feel that surface movement and skimmer removal of debris is more important for their pool. Just make sure you have good return jet circulation to your skimmer and you'll be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In my opinion, having a main drain on an above ground pool is optional. On an inground however, they really help the circulation in the deepest parts of the pool. With an average depth of 40-50 inches however, a skimmer and one return work just fine. If you install a main drain you will also have to properly winterize it. Keep that in mind.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Nix the main drain for me. Like Blake1989 says, an IG pool may be a little different but I see no real purpose on an AG pool
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a deep end with a main drain in our 16 x 28 AGP and do not use it very often. It did not seem to make much difference for keeping the pool clear. With that said, it does come in handy when/if you want to circulate the water while swimmers are in it. If the water level goes below the skimmer line such as when draining and still wanting to circulate the water this is handy. Also, the debris from the deep end goes directly to the pump thru the main drain and not thru the skimmer which, for us, has the skimmer sock and blocks a lot of the small debris. If we had to do it again, I think we probably would NOT install one.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Get rid of it. I'm of the opinion that the less you cut the liner the better off you are to avoid leaks.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter