Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor temperature compensation

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor temperature compensation

The IntelliChlor tends to have problems with temperature compensation. I think that itís most likely due to an unreliable temperature sensor.

I think that the sensor tends to drift away from the true water temperature over time, in many cases. If the water temperature measurement is off, the salinity will be off as well with the salinity error being proportional to how inaccurate the temperature reading is.

If the sensor reading goes outside certain limits, the system will assume that the temperature sensor has failed and it will use 77 F as a default water temperature. In that case, the error will depend on how far the water temperature is from 77 F.

Part of the problem is that the Intellichlor does not report cell temperature, even with automation. If it did report cell temperature, one could detect and resolve problems quickly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellichlor temperature compensation

The only way to get system information from the IntelliChlor is to purchase an IntelliWand -

Amazon.com: Pentair 520594 Diagnostic Wand Replacement Pool/Spa Sanitizer and Automation Control Systems: Patio, Lawn Garden

It's really infuriating that Pentair does this but I suppose it's designed that way to keep the service channel closed to DIY types. They also removed the field calibration method from the IntelliChlor units after version 2.0 because too many untrained "professionals" and owners would mess up the calibration.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I get a salinity and temperature reading from the IntelliPH. Often times, the temperature varies from what the EasyTouch reports so perhaps the temperature reading is coming from the cell?

A person without automation wouldn't have a temperature probe in the plumbing, yet the IntelliPH would still report salt and temperature. The reading must be coming from the cell then.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I get a salinity and temperature reading from the IntelliPH. Often times, the temperature varies from what the EasyTouch reports so perhaps the temperature reading is coming from the cell?

A person without automation wouldn't have a temperature probe in the plumbing, yet the IntelliPH would still report salt and temperature. The reading must be coming from the cell then.
    Most commercial pH probes will sense temperature as well so that they can compensate the voltage drift of the pH reading with temperature. The IntelliPH is likely just reading the temperature at that point.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is no pH probe on the IPH. The only place that information can come from is the cell.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

6. Back To Top    #6

Cell Status
    This menu allows you to view the current salinity and temperature of your pool as provided from the IntelliChlor cell.
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/intellpHOM.pdf
    Interesting, I did not know that.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

There are a couple features like that on the IPH. It also allows for adjusting the IC in 1% increments similar to the ET which would be very welcome for those without automation. Beyond these minor conveniences, the IPH as a whole is not very intelligent at all.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

8. Back To Top    #8

It's interesting to me that there is so much communication going on between the IC, IPH and ET panel and yet the folks at Pentair can't even send back data from the IC on current, voltage, cell runtime, etc. The data is there, Pentair just refuses to make it accessible.

Grrrrrr.....
    Matt

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Its also too bad the brain and electronics are built into the cell where a thin piece of plastic is all that protects it from a pressurized water stream on the opposite side. I can't imagine it would be difficult to build that portion of the electronics into the transformer and/or the EasyTouch panels.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD