Dumb questions from a newby

whonut

May 17, 2016
star city/arkansas
When is the best time(morning or evening) to test my water chemistry? or both?
How long or how much will a CYA level of 30 protect my chlorine level on a sunny day? for instance, if my level is 5 and in ideal range in the morning, will a CYA of 30 keep it in the normal range til sundown? Assuming there is no algae present.
When all things are balanced and clear, how often should I expect to put chlorine in and when is the best time to do that?
Lastly, how long should I be running my pump/filter system per day and when?

Liquid chlorine-------added DAILY.

You're gonna have to add enough bleach to got to 5ppm FC-----then test at end of day to see how..YOUR..... pool responds and adjust your target accordingly. NEVER drop below minimum is the goal for your CYA. Don't be surprised if you end up taking your CYA to 40 or 50 to reduce daily loss. New minimums and targets for those too btw.

I'm pretty sure most folks test and "bleach up" at end of the day so you have all that in there overnight. More convenient too for most.

Start with a 12 hour run time and then cut it back a couple of hours. Keep cutting it back until you feel the pool is not getting clean. Boost it back up an hour or so and let that be your run time. Run it any time you wish although I prefer to run mine in daytime because I am around it then.

My pH has dropped to around 6.8-7.0. I've put in the recommended amount of borax(20 team mule) from pool math but pH is still at 7.0. Do I just keep adding more borax until it's where I want it?

Alk is 100.
Yes. If you're reading 6.8 you might actually be lower than that. Target 7.3 and add what it says. Repeat as often as necessary (maybe ab hour between, so you know it's well mixed) to get to 7.2 or 7.3. The high TA will push the pH up as well, so aim low and let it finish the job for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.