Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring all this stuff

1. Back To Top    #1

Measuring all this stuff

You guys have awesome ideas for everything so I'll see what you suggest for the following:

What's the best way to measure 4 lbs of DE from a 25 lb bag?

What do you like to measure 69 oz liquid chlorine in? Same thing for muriatic acid?

Just curious. I'm using a 4 cup Pyrex measure for the liquids and a bucket eyeball method for the DE. Just looking for an easier way.

John

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measuring all this stuff

I use the pool math
    "by volume" amounts, and measure using a plastic one quart measuring cup.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

DE is about 48 fluid ounces per pound. Don’t use any type of glass around a pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I use pool math. I meant what type of measure. So plastic measuring cup will be on the list to buy.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    DE is about 48 fluid ounces per pound. Donít use any type of glass around a pool.
    So you mean using a liquid measure of 48 oz will roughly be a pound? Assuming it isn't packed tight (thinking of flour while baking). With that I could do 8 scoops of 24 oz and be done! Is that right?

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a kitchen scale and do my powdered chemical measurements by weight. The volume estimates for solid materials is probably good but I know the weight is right on. For muriatic acid and bleach, I just do eyeball on 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a gallon. I do have a gallon plastic Pyrex pitcher I've used for MA and bleach a couple times but I don't like pouring MA any more than I have to so usually straight from the jug.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

(8) 24 oz (Volume) scoops would be about 4 pounds of DE. (Loose, not packed).

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a cheapo plastic scale that I relegated to the pool house for powders, and a large quart sized hospital patient mug that measures liquids in ounces and mL.

I noticed yesterday at Lowes some cheap measuring containers in the paint department. No handle like my mug has, but clear easy to read measuring marks and dirt cheap. Might be useful!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I have two plastic measuring cups that are different colors. I got them at the dollar store. One lives with the MA and is used ONLY for it and is kept with the MA away from everything else. The other is for everything else. I just use the oz on the side of the cup for liquid and dry. It works for me.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit