Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much sand for bottom coving??

1. Back To Top    #1

how much sand for bottom coving??

well got our old liner out, the vertical supports that had sunk a bit, raised back up..I Now NEED to add in, some sand coping in areas that lost some due to washout. Is there a calculator, or can someone just tell me...how much mason sand will I need to redo the sand coping in my 33ft diameter AGP? I am assuming a 6 inch height curved up the wall all the way around.

Thanks for any help
    Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much sand for bottom coving??

Above Ground Pool - Above Ground Pools - INYOPools.com

Read this ^^^^ scroll down to the part about the sand cove.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

33 foot diameter means 396 inch diameter means 1244 inch circumference.
    6" radius means 113 sq inch volume for a full circle. One quarter of that is 28.27 in2 A square 6" on each side would be 36 in2 36-28.27 is 7.73 in2

7.73 in2 times 1244 in = 9611 in3

9611 cubic inches is .206 cubic yards or 5.56 cubic feet. In pounds of sand, I don't know.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

1 yard (27 cu ft) of dry sand is roughly 2700lbs. That works out to about 100lbs per cubic foot. So according to Richard you will need about 550lbs of dry sand. If you have a pick up truck and a local supplier masons sand generally goes for about $15 a ton which beats the pants off buying it but the bag at home depot for $5 for 50lbs.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to pick up a half yard....as probably 3/4 of the old sand coving is still there, just where it washed out is gone....so going to make it 6 inches high all the way around, and go from there.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Half a yard should be enough for the coping and enough left over to make a sand box for the kids.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help