Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya in the sun

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya in the sun

Almost sounds like a folk song...lol. So I am guessing since the north east area has yet to see sun for more than two days straight, my cya is higher. And I know it's bad to use the tri-Chlor tabs but I have a big bucket of them so I am using them up.

When the sun returns the cya will most likely go down? And fc will come down as well since it won't have to be so high?

Vinny B
    New Pool Owner Nov 2015
    20x40 mineral set up

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya in the sun

UV loss of FC isn't the issue with high CYA. CYA acts as a chlorine buffer in that it binds the chlorine and lowers the active chlorine levels. So when your CYA is high, your hypochlorous acid concentration will fall well below the level needed to control algae.

So, even in the absence of sunny days, high CYA will cause you huge problems if you don't keep your FC at the recommended FC/CYA ratio. Adding more CYA everyday with pucks makes the appropriate level a moving target.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Cya in the sun

Well cya at 70 now and my fc was only at 4. But we have had two days so far of non stop rain. So it's not terrible yet but higher then it was. I am going to pick up some bleach today so I can keep my fc higher.

Vinny B
    New Pool Owner Nov 2015
    20x40 mineral set up

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA only comes down with dilution. The sun does not lower it CYA.
    Continuing to use the trichlor is going to lead to problems down the road.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

+1 what Divin Dave said.....stop using the pucks. They won't be wasted (they last forever) but you really should stop using them now.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Understood but then without an auto chlorinator for the liquid, am I just pouring freely bleach by the skimmer?

Vinny B
    New Pool Owner Nov 2015
    20x40 mineral set up

7. Back To Top    #7

Vinny, don't pour the bleach directly in the skimmer. Pour it slowly near the return jets. That's the best way for mixing and dilution into the water. Use regular bleach (generic is fine) - but no scented bleaches or splashless stuff.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Vinny, don't pour the bleach directly in the skimmer. Pour it slowly near the return jets. That's the best way for mixing and dilution into the water. Use regular bleach (generic is fine) - but no scented bleaches or splashless stuff.
    Will do, we are having our first pool party this weekend so want to make sure all is good. Thanks
    Vinny B
    New Pool Owner Nov 2015
    20x40 mineral set up

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a handy page on how to add chemicals to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach