Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do the wings on the handle of the M5 Dolphin do

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

What do the wings on the handle of the M5 Dolphin do

I saw this briefly on a YouTube video - 'wings' that slide out on the handle of the Dolphin M5 and maybe others. I didn't know about this, so I checked my Rosie, and sure 'nuff hers slide out too. I checked the manual and online - didn't have any luck finding out what they do. I bet Patrick knows!!! I pulled them out and put Rosie in the pool, but I didn't stay to see her in action with her wings open.

Thanks!
    Suz

Here's a picture of Rosie with her wings.....

Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do the wings on the handle of the M5 Dolphin do

I dunno..........does it act as a wheelie bar!

My guess is that they work like plane wings in reverse and help keep the wheels in touch with the surface.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I have no idea! I went out and watched a few minutes, but didn't see anything different from usual.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

From M4 User manual - If unit while scanning turns less than 90 degrees, pull out Left float. If more than 90, pull out Right float.
    I have not tested this, let us know what you observe.
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Stenner45MHP2 (Replaced Liquidator), Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Oh that's great - makes sense! My little manual didn't say anything.

Ha! Poor Rosie.... She's probably confused since I pulled both out.
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd slap some NASCAR stickers on them too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Yeah, baby!!! Rosie's all about speed!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Lol...
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016