Inline thermometers--Why are they so expensive?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'd like to add a couple of dial thermometers to my system, but they run almost $50 each for the cheapest I've found. I can actually rig a programmable system with two sensors to display the temperature for less money. Is there a cheap solution?

Hello John,

I have purchased a removable temperature gauge that uses a threaded well to recieve the gauge to measure my temperatures of my solar heating system. The well is designed for 1/2" pipe thread. I plan on placing PVC Tees in line with the 1/2" adapters for the wells. One Tee in both the feed and return solar lines. My only concern is that the wells are made of brass and I am unsure what the long term effect the brass may have on water chemistry. If it becomes a problem I will remove the wells and use 1/2" plastic plugs to close the openings.
temperatureguage.jpg

The gauge with 1 well included was only $18.71 and a second well was another $4.75. If my memory serves me correct I think the total purchase with shipping was still less than $30.00. I am still in the installing process of my solar system weather permitting. You can see the gauge and all information at this website http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/HeatingProducts/HydronicHeating/gauges/temperaturegaugebuypage.asp.

Maybe others will add some advice and/or opinions as to the possible effects this can have on the water chemistry.

Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.