Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Inline thermometers--Why are they so expensive?

Inline thermometers--Why are they so expensive?

I'd like to add a couple of dial thermometers to my system, but they run almost $50 each for the cheapest I've found. I can actually rig a programmable system with two sensors to display the temperature for less money. Is there a cheap solution?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Re: Inline thermometers--Why are they so expensive?

Hello John,

I have purchased a removable temperature gauge that uses a threaded well to recieve the gauge to measure my temperatures of my solar heating system. The well is designed for 1/2" pipe thread. I plan on placing PVC Tees in line with the 1/2" adapters for the wells. One Tee in both the feed and return solar lines. My only concern is that the wells are made of brass and I am unsure what the long term effect the brass may have on water chemistry. If it becomes a problem I will remove the wells and use 1/2" plastic plugs to close the openings.

The gauge with 1 well included was only $18.71 and a second well was another $4.75. If my memory serves me correct I think the total purchase with shipping was still less than $30.00. I am still in the installing process of my solar system weather permitting. You can see the gauge and all information at this website http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...ugebuypage.asp.

Maybe others will add some advice and/or opinions as to the possible effects this can have on the water chemistry.

Dennis
    My Pool:
    12,000 gallon AG, Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 1 hp two speed pump. Added a Sundance Spa in 2005.

Happy I found a replacement Pool Forum !!!

Not sure if your use case but have you considered infrared thermometers such as this or one of these?
    17000 gal free form plaster pool with 900 gal spillover spa, shared 2 HP 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, solar and gas heater, 1 hp pump for water features, 1.5 hp pump for spa. Dolphin Diagnostics robotic cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by patf11
    Not sure if your use case but have you considered infrared thermometers such as this or one of these?
    I have one, but it isn't very useful for measure the water temp in the pipe. I thought it might be, but it's not.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat