Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1.5 inch IPEX piping -- what SWG can I use ?

1. Back To Top    #1

1.5 inch IPEX piping -- what SWG can I use ?

Hello,

I have an 80,000 litre (21000 gallon) pool which is almost 30 years old. The system runs with 1.5 inch "IPEX" pipes (I believe these are PVC but am not sure). I am looking to convert to a SWG, but it seems that the IC40 unit I am looking at connects to 2 inch "PVC" pipes. What are my options ?

Second question - the previous owner of this house told me the pool is 80000 litres (approx. 21000 gallons). It seems that 20,000 gallon is a standard size, so I'm wondering if the previous owner simply rounded up to 80,000 litres when in fact the pool really is 20,000 gallon. SO, the questions is. do I need the IC40 unit or would the IC20 unit be large enough for my pool ?

thanks, Ron

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1.5 inch IPEX piping -- what SWG can I use ?

Hi Castelle,
    We would recommend the IC40, or any other cell that is at least 1.5x the size of your pool. Larger cell = longer life.
    As a rule of thumb, the larger the cell the longer it will last, because it doesnt hvae to work as hard.

As for the piping, you can use the IC 40, use put a reducer between the output of the cell and your existing pipe.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Go to the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowes (are there Lowes in Canada?). Explain your problem and they will either sell you the correct reducer or direct you to a plumbing supply house that will have it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advise.

I'll also have to use the opposite of a reducer (expander ?) to connect to the input of the SWG (from 1.5 inch up to 2 inch). Will this change of diameter cause any problems for the SWG ? (possibly due to uneven flow of water ?)

5. Back To Top    #5

Using an elarger on the input side wont cause any problems.
    People do the same as you need to all the time and there isnt any worries at all.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!