Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange black mould in my above ground pool...advice needed to eradicate please

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange black mould in my above ground pool...advice needed to eradicate please

Hi All,

Above the water line, covering a ring around my above ground pool liner is this strange black mould. It was there last summer but before I set the pool up in a few weeks time I wanted to see if I can get rid of it. It doesn't rub off and in fact you can't feel it which got me thinking it might be coming from behind the liner if that's possible.

I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean. I'd love some advice on how to clear it please.

Thanks in advance
    Daz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strange black mould in my above ground pool...advice needed to eradicate please

I would try two things- Hold a chlorine puck against the stain and see if that lightens it up. Then try another spot with some crushed up Vitamin C tablets and see if that does something?

Vitamin C lifting stains = metal staining

Chlorine puck lifting stains = organic staining

Knowing what you're dealing with governs how you treat it. Holler back with your results
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Strange black mould in my above ground pool...advice needed to eradicate please

Thanks for the reply. I tried the chlorine puck on the mould last summer and it didn't do anything. There's no metal behind the liner just timber. Should I try the puck behind the liner instead?
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL

4. Back To Top    #4

Metals can come into the water from some algaecides, well water, old pipes, etc. So it is worthwhile to rule that out also as a source of stains.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain