First Water Test

mjbarr99

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
This is an awesome site. I have learned so much in a short amount of time. This is a brand new build and I'm a first time pool owner. I tested my water for the first time with the TF100 and here are my results:

pH - 8.2
FC - 3.5
CC - 1.5
TC - 5
CH - 350
TA - 130
CYA - 40

I know I should have a CC of <0.5 so I'm confused why it's so high. The pool was plastered and water added starting on 5/11. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

You will probably be battling your pH for a time while the plaster cures, so make sure you have a couple gallons of muriatic acid on hand. Your CC is quite higher than we would like to see. Have you added anything to the water other than chlorine and acid? Any type of plaster start-up chemicals by chance?

The water is clear.
In that case, I see no reason for you to SLAM. We need to get the CC's down but I think you can do that with an elevated increase in your chlorine.

1. First, drop the pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid.

2. Next elevate you FC to about 8 ppm and hold it there. I believe that extra chlorine will reduce your CC's in just a day or two to .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

3. You can "tweak" your other numbers if you like but adjusting your pH and getting rid of the cc's is all you need.

If you have been covering the pool, take the cover off.

In that case, I see no reason for you to SLAM. We need to get the CC's down but I think you can do that with an elevated increase in your chlorine.

1. First, drop the pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid.

2. Next elevate you FC to about 8 ppm and hold it there. I believe that extra chlorine will reduce your CC's in just a day or two to .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

3. You can "tweak" your other numbers if you like but adjusting your pH and getting rid of the cc's is all you need.

If you have been covering the pool, take the cover off.

Added chlorine last night and when I tested the water about an hour later my was FC to 8.5 and CC was 1. I tested the water this morning, my FC was 7.5 and CC was 1. My pH was 7.4 both times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.