Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Water Test

1. Back To Top    #1

First Water Test

This is an awesome site. I have learned so much in a short amount of time. This is a brand new build and I'm a first time pool owner. I tested my water for the first time with the TF100 and here are my results:

pH - 8.2
    FC - 3.5
    CC - 1.5
    TC - 5
    CH - 350
    TA - 130
    CYA - 40

I know I should have a CC of <0.5 so I'm confused why it's so high. The pool was plastered and water added starting on 5/11. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    16K gal, IG, plaster, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 266 Heater, Pentair WhisperFlo single speed Water Feature pump, Stenner Liquid Chlorine pump, Zodiac MX-8 Suction Side Cleaner, Automatic Pool Cover, TF100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First Water Test

Welcome to TFP!

You will probably be battling your pH for a time while the plaster cures, so make sure you have a couple gallons of muriatic acid on hand. Your CC is quite higher than we would like to see. Have you added anything to the water other than chlorine and acid? Any type of plaster start-up chemicals by chance?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

They added muriatic acid, a bottle of Regal Metal Out, a bottle of Regal Algaecide 60 and some liquid instant conditioner once the pool was full. Nothing has been added since.
    16K gal, IG, plaster, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 266 Heater, Pentair WhisperFlo single speed Water Feature pump, Stenner Liquid Chlorine pump, Zodiac MX-8 Suction Side Cleaner, Automatic Pool Cover, TF100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yeah, we need to get the CC's down a bit. What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The water is clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The water is clear.
    In that case, I see no reason for you to SLAM. We need to get the CC's down but I think you can do that with an elevated increase in your chlorine.

1. First, drop the pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid.

2. Next elevate you FC to about 8 ppm and hold it there. I believe that extra chlorine will reduce your CC's in just a day or two to .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

3. You can "tweak" your other numbers if you like but adjusting your pH and getting rid of the cc's is all you need.

If you have been covering the pool, take the cover off.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    In that case, I see no reason for you to SLAM. We need to get the CC's down but I think you can do that with an elevated increase in your chlorine.

1. First, drop the pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid.

2. Next elevate you FC to about 8 ppm and hold it there. I believe that extra chlorine will reduce your CC's in just a day or two to .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

3. You can "tweak" your other numbers if you like but adjusting your pH and getting rid of the cc's is all you need.

If you have been covering the pool, take the cover off.
    Added chlorine last night and when I tested the water about an hour later my was FC to 8.5 and CC was 1. I tested the water this morning, my FC was 7.5 and CC was 1. My pH was 7.4 both times.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would keep FC up around 8 or 9 for a bit to burn off the CC and see what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would keep FC up around 8 or 9 for a bit to burn off the CC and see what happens.
    Been keeping my FC around 9 and this morning when I tested, my FC was 9 and CC was 0.5. Should I still keep my FC at 9 until I get a CC of 0 or am I good to go?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

If the water is crystal clear you are good! Good job!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart