Perplexed - Floating Vinyl Liner

May 22, 2016
Kansas city, Mo
Got to love all of the fun I've had after opening up my new pool last week! One thing after another. This last issue seems to be the most concerning.

Would love if anyone can figure out this riddle of an issue... have fun thinking. :p:p:p

When I bought the home (Jan of this year), we did not have the pool inspected. Mainly, because the seller supplied paper work for opening and closing of the people over the past 12 months, a pressure test, and receipts for a new liner and cover installed (October 2015).

When I opened the pool, everything was sitting just fine (albeit dirty). Liner was properly in place. However, after firing up the pump yesterday, the liner started bulging out a bit. I thought, initially, maybe it would settle again (and did a lot of research on this forum). However, upon waking up this morning the liner has basically separated around all of the sides and is floating up in the middle (literally only being held down by main drain). I pulled a small section back, and behold, tons of water behind the liner.

I immediately turned the pump off until I can figure this out. However, I have a theory.
  • First, if the water is from outside of the pool (behind the concrete), where is all the displacement at from in the pool? The water level has remained the same, even though about 20-25% of the water is now behind the liner. Which makes me believe the water HAS to be from the pool.
  • The variable here has been the pump. Before pump, no floating. After pump started, slowly more and more water behind liner.
  • Which leads me to my theory, do you think the installation company could have forgot about a jet and installed it over it? It makes sense. I also noticed that my pool is relatively symmetrical: perfect rectangle, skimmer on one side and another skimmer diagonal to that on other side, 1 jet on stairs one end, another on the other end. However, I have 2 jets on one side and only 1 on the other. Wouldn't this be strange?

Any ideas?

If the liner wasn't floating prior to turning on the pump, then it sounds paluasible that whoever installed the new liner covered a return line.

Usually liners bulge because of ground water (tons of rain or high water table) or pool level gets too high and water seeps past the liner bead.

The only advice I could give, is to try and contact whoever may have installed it and see if they might be able to figure out what happened, and if their fault, make it right.

good luck,

If you have reasonable soil, the water should start to soak back into the ground and the liner should start to go back into place. My guess is you are right about a covered return. It should be at the same level as any other return but it does not have to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.