Relation between salt ppm and chlorine output

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
Hi. I've got a Aqua Rite T-15. Instructions say that salt should be between 2700 - 3400 ppm for it to work. Below 2700 lights blink and or come on continuously meaning it is partially or not working. My question is is there a relationship between the salt level and the output of chlorine from the unit. If I had 3400 ppm salt would the chlorine output be more than if I had say 2800 ppm salt? I've always tried to keep it at no more than about 3200 for fear of tasting salt in water. Obviously, I know this unit is slightly undersized for my pool. Just trying to optimize performance. Thanks all.

Yes, there is a relationship between salt level and chlorine output and it is fairly linear. The issue with higher salt levels is that the current in the unit can reach the maximum allowed more easily and the unit will then alarm and shut down. Hot water from the heater will also increase the current in the SWG causing alarms. Also, higher current within the unit can shorten the life of some of the components (infamous thermal limiter & solder joint failure). For these reasons, I tend to keep my salt level closer to the lower end of the range. Plus other than short run time, there really is no benefit to the higher salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.