Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers looking better

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers looking better

Morning Pool Peeps!! Here are my numbers...

FC- 1
    CC- 0
    PH- 7.5
    TA- 150
    CH-N/A
    CYA- 25

The pool is a 20 ft x 52 inch Intex round pool... The box says 8600 gallons so I am going to add the following:

33 oz of 10% liquid chlorine

17 oz of CYA

I haven't had a pool in over 5 years so I'm hoping this will be like riding a bike and I will pick it back up fairly fast.. I do have a couple of questions though...

1. I use the same Taylor K-1000 for both my Hot tub (which uses Bromine) and my pool... Is that an issue?

2. Since this is not a plaster pool, do I need to worry with Calcium?

TIA!!
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    8632 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers looking better

Ahhh... nice easy questions.

1) Not a problem as long as you rinse it out well between uses. I'd use tap water for the final rinse.
    2) Low Calcium is no problem. High Calcium can still form scale in a vinyl pool. So it should be tested, just so you know if you need to be hyper-vigilant about pH and TA. If CH is low, once a month CH testing is fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard! Should I worry with a TA of 150? I really can't aerate since the return doesn't really bubble the water... Would one of the Intex LED fountain work? Like this??
    fountain.jpg
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pitguy3 View Post
    Thanks Richard! Should I worry with a TA of 150? I really can't aerate since the return doesn't really bubble the water... Would one of the Intex LED fountain work? Like this??
    fountain.jpg
    If CH is on the low end, say 300 or less, no worries at all. TA will come down slowly as you maintain pH. Aeration only speeds up the pH rise, it doesn't lower TA. Acid lowers TA and pH. Aeration raises pH and TA stays where it was. If you need to aggressively lower TA, then that fountain would be an excellent way to bring the pH back up.

But you're getting ahead of yourself. Go test the CH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

CH is at 200
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pitguy3 View Post
    CH is at 200
    Then there's no reason to rush to lowering the TA. When pH hits 7.8, bring it down to 7.2 and TA will come down some each time.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks again Richard!!
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!