Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now what is this?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Now what is this?!

Just bought a home and inherited the existing pool

Learning my way around the equipment. My dad has owned a pool most of his life so he has been great with opening it up.

However, neither one of us can figure out what this capped off PVC is. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now what is this?!

Welcome to TFP!!

If you tried to post a photo it didn't show up.

It would help if edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Tim -

Thanks for the quick reply. I was trying to post on my phone and it didn't work out too well!

Let's try again. Image below.
    IMG_0622.jpg

I'll update signature now, as I'm sure I'll be using this forum a lot. Great info!

4. Back To Top    #4

Could be many things. My pool has a similar capped off pipe at the equipment pad that the builder put in in case there was ever a need to add a pressure side cleaner in the future. On the pool end there is a similar capped off pipe in my pool wall.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to locate what may be a "vacuum pipe" that a buddy mentioned. He said I may or may not have one.

I'm having some serious liner issues. Was fine last week when I took cover off. This week, separating from all sides. Just installed (October 2015).
    15 x 30 in-ground pool - Vinyl (installed Oct. 2015) - Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter - 1.0hp generic pump (off-brand) (installed 2016) - 2 skimmers + 1 main - Water from city (restricted)

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, that could be the vacuum pipe. I woul dgiv ethe installer of the liner a call ASAP about the issues with the new liner.