3rd year with fiberglass pool.

Jun 25, 2014
Monteal
Hey guys, this is my third year with a fiver glass pool first year was open and closed by the installer 2nd I opened it by emptying the whole pool and pressure washing it all and I proceeded to put chlorine to shock it and after a few days I dumped my salt bags. Was a great year no problem.

Now this year my 3rd, I did the same thing but on the pool wall there was sand paper like green substance which I thought was algae. I tried brushing but it would not come off completely the only way was with my pressure washer up close an inch at a time. This was time consuming so I told myself that if I super chlorinate and then throw algaecide it would do the trick. I guess I was wrong it's been 6 days and still it's there but the water is clear. I attached a picture I took from the top.

I was thinking of emptying the whole pool at pressure washing it all inch by inch but before I do that I've seen this forum help a lot of people so I figured I would give it a shot.

Tks for the help.

Image1463925586.922310.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Drop your pH. VERY carefully drop the pH down to 6.8 and hold it there until the scale disappears.

If you do this haphazardly, you could damage the system. If you do it with precision and care, that will redissolve the calcium back into the water.

It may take a long time (weeks) for that to happen but it may surprise you and happen quickly. Brush the affected areas each day.....looking for it to get a little better each time

So it's calcium buildup not algae. I guess it's green kuz it was in a pond like state over the winter. So any tips on how to safely lower my ph. Should the pool be in filter mode or recirculate?

Tks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School that'll tell you how to lower pH. All other things remain normal....stay in filter mode.

You probably have some algae encapsulated in the scale. By removing the scale, the chlorine can now kill the algae that it couldn't get to before.

So I decided to clean the pool with muriatic acid. I emptied it and mopped the whole pool. I attached a before and after. Thanks for the advice but I didn't feel like trying to lower the ph and risk any damage. This was easy enough not much scrubbing since the acid did all the work. My pool manufacturers wanted 400 for the job it costed me the acid 10$ plus the mask and mop 60$ for a total of 70$. Now I need to get my water tested to see just how hard it truly is.

Image1464402780.141171.jpgImage1464402788.715850.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.