Pool looks great, cartridge filters had green tinge

Feb 21, 2016
Mesa, AZ
I am very new to this, and grateful there are those more experienced ones willing to help.
We had a lot of wind yesterday. I was washing out cartridge filters hoping to make them last just a little longer. but the "dirt" i them was greyish green. that tells me that I have an algae problem starting, correct? :cry:
Last night's readings: FC 4.5, CC 1, Ph 7.4, and CYA off the chart...guessing it's at 120. I know i will need to replace some water at the end of the summer...probably a lot of water; but what would my FC reading need to be to SLAM the pool now? :confused:

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Maybe, or maybe not. Many times pollen can cause a slight green color on the filter. To be sure you need to conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to prove/dis-prove if anything is growing in the water.

Right now you need to get the FC up. With your 120 CYA your FC should NEVER be below 9 and you should really target 12 - 13 to be sure it never goes below 9. But, you will need to be careful in pH testing as the pH test is inaccurate when FC is above 10. Each time you want to test pH you will have to let the FC drop below 10 to accurately test the pH.

What test kit are you using?

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Also, while running the kreepy Krawly was running, it pulled the light assembly out if it's hole in the wall. Can I just dive in And put it back in place. It doesn't appear to be shorted out. Just out of place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
The light is meant to come out for cleaning behind it and in case you need to repair or replace it. There should be one screw on the top to hold it in the frame. Do you see it on the bottom of the pool?

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.