FC will not budge and BLUE/GREEN CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER

May 22, 2016
Aiken, SC
Good Morning All! New TFP Member here but have been reading your forums for years! Might I just add, god bless u all so much for what you do here! I have had my pool for 5 years and it would not be operational without you!!! This year my pool though seems to have a mind of its own so I really need some help!

A little back ground, for the first 3 years I had my pool, it was strictly regular chlorine based pool, then one of my friends talked me into a SWG. I purchased it and operated successfully at half the cost for 2 years but my family and I hate the SW. Its too warm and attracts the honey bees and we spend the day hot/muggy and swatting bees away! I never had that problem before so we decided this year to go back to basics and ditch the SWG but one week later I have a blue/green tinted pool and I am completely perplexed!

At opening I had very minimal and I mean very minimal green tinge to pool, little to no debri (not even a leaf) but some pollen stamens. I raised water level, scrubbed, vaccummed, shocked etc, tested and balanced with really only having to add mostly alkalinity and stabilizer to balance all out. When finished, I had a perfectly balanced clearest its ever been pool! Stabilizer, Alk, Ph, CH, all great!! I threw my 3" tabs in the skimmer and walked away excited for the summer! 3 Days later......blue/green water and I cant get rid of it! Everything is balanced except I can not get FC to budge. I thought it was algae coming back, Ive tried algacide 50%, Ive tried phosphate removers, sink flocculent, metal and stain etc. Nothing! I even wondered if my liner some how turned colors because the water is sparkling clear! I mean sparkling! I take water out of the pool in a clear jar and there is no tint and no visible particles! It's crystal clear! Im at a loss...I even lowered the water to see if the liner is discolored and its not. Any help you can advise would be absolutely appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Current Readings:
CH 200,
TC 2-3,
FC 0,
PH 7.5
ALK 100-120
STB 75-100

*guilty as charged - this is with Lowes Smart Strips
but in fairness they have always worked for me til
now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, I'm sorry to say there are a few TFP principles that have been broken here, but we'll try to get you back on track. Let's re-cap:
- You had algae and didn't actually do a TFP "SLAM", so I'm sure the algae is still there.
- You have to stop adding the pool store chemicals, they cause more problems that the algae, and the damage can only be reversed with a water replacement
- You MUST have the rights test kit. That's priority #1; either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, but you need one of those now
- While waiting on the test kit, read the vital links below in my signature. Each one of them applies to you.
- Your test results above really don't help us at all; there's just no way to give advice on test strips.

Post a full set of numbers from your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 and we will be glad to help. When you order, also get the "Speed Stir". You won't regret it.

Go back and reread pool school. Using the pucks and algaecides could have added metals to your water. I don't think an SWG would attract bees, nor make your water warmer. If you can't get your FC to hold, you are fighting algae. A SLAM would be needed, along with a proper test kit.

Im reading! Im reading lol...but what perplexes me so much is its clear in the glass but blue/green in the pool! By the way thank u for answering so quickly! life savers truly! As for the warmer salt water pools, I have read hundreds of post from owners, SWG do tend to make a pool warmer and the honey bees take the salt and use it to make honey but idk for sure, I just know my pool was warmer and bees were not there before. I will re-read pool school and the SLAM, I did super shock it though and it was crystal clear so you maybe right, maybe its just not enough and coming back.

The reason we need dependable test samples, besides looking for algae, is to explain other possibilities (i.e. metals in the water). It's not uncommon in your area to have iron or copper. I can almost guarantee those pool store algaecides you added also had copper which turns the water a funny tint of blue/green. It reacts to chlorine, hence ..... staying away from pool stores. :brickwall: With test results from your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, we will be able to give you the proper path forward. It may result in some water exchange either due to metals or a high CYA content, but once done, you'll never have to do it again as long as you follow the TFP recommended chemicals. For now, we have to wait on the kit. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.