15x48 intex help with filter and swg

May 22, 2016
Murfreesboro
Hi all, new pool owner and new to forums.
So I have a 15x48 intex metal frame pool and I purchased a 1600gph sand filter and swg intex combo unit. I've read through the manual 5 times and can not find the information I need.

Im unsure of what to do to operate this the right way. I see that I should be operating sand filter about 3 hours per day but how long should i be running the swg? If I set the swg to run for 3 hours every night will that also turn on the filter pump? Can I just set the 6 way valve to filter and leave it like that even when it's not on so it can kick on when the swg starts?

I'm also reading about some kind of acid chemical I need with salt water pool but I'm not sure if I'm understanding right. Is this an additive I need to purchase or does the chloranator produce this?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I'm running this right. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the combo filter/SWG unit, so I'm unsure exactly how it works, but yes, you'll probably need to run your SWG at least 3 hours per day to keep your pool sufficiently chlorinated. I suspect the unit will automatically kick on the pump when the SWG timer turns it on, as you must have water flowing for it to work.

You can run the pump longer if you like. I like to have mine running any time we are in the pool.

Get one of the test kits recommended on this site and monitor your chlorine levels for a few days, then adjust the SWG run times as needed.

You should always leave the 6-way valve set to filter unless you are in the process of backwashing. Otherwise you risk damage to your pump if it is closed.

The acid you mentioned is likely cyanuric acid (aka CYA or stabilizer), which acts to protect your chlorine from being burned off by the sun. It can be measured by a good test kit and for a saltwater pool can be in the range of 70-80 ppm. You can use less than that too, but I wouldn't go below 30 ppm.

All of this is explained in the Pool School links Texas Splash posted above.

Hi all, new pool owner and new to forums.
So I have a 15x48 intex metal frame pool and I purchased a 1600gph sand filter and swg intex combo unit. I've read through the manual 5 times and can not find the information I need.

Im unsure of what to do to operate this the right way. I see that I should be operating sand filter about 3 hours per day but how long should i be running the swg? If I set the swg to run for 3 hours every night will that also turn on the filter pump? Can I just set the 6 way valve to filter and leave it like that even when it's not on so it can kick on when the swg starts?

I'm also reading about some kind of acid chemical I need with salt water pool but I'm not sure if I'm understanding right. Is this an additive I need to purchase or does the chloranator produce this?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I'm running this right. Thanks in advance.

3 hours per day should be sufficient to maintain chlorine levels. But your mileage may vary. 3 hours seems like a minimum time to run the pump. I run mine 4 per day for comparison. The pump must be running for the SWG to operate.
Unless it's very different from any Intex I've ever seen, running the SWG will NOT turn the pump on. You must turn them both on at the same time. Once you do that, they should come on at the same time every subsequent day.
The 6 way valve always stays on "filter" unless you are backwashing the pump or putting in new sand (both fairly rare occurrences).

Are you referring to Cyanuric acid? If so, yes, it is critical (for all pools actually). Without it, the sun will rapidly deplete your chlorine and your SWG will not be able to keep up. It's often sold as "Stabilizer" but make sure you are getting cyanuric acid and nothing else.
For SWG pool maintain a level of approximately 80. You will need a good test kit like the TF100 mentioned often on this site. Do NOT rely on a pool supply store to measure CYA levels. They are notorious for misreading CYA tests with very serious consequences for the pool owner. Do not try to add CYA until you get the recommended test kit and understand how to add it by reading pool school articles on this site.

Go to this link and it will tell you all you need to know: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.