New pool owner - totally lost

May 21, 2016
Hopwood, PA
Hi All!

First time pool owners here, completely lost and starting to get frustrated. Been browsing these forums for weeks so finally decided to make an account and ask for help!

We just bought our house that has a half in ground, half above ground 18,000 gallon pool.

It started out very dark green, i finally found and started exactly following the SLAM process last week now and water is more of a pale green but we can't see more than 2 feet down. we managed to scoop a ton of leaves out of it and vacuumed as best we could last week (all blindly). I know there is probably still more down there but it's just so hard to get it out when we can't see what we're doing. I've been brushing the bottom and sides everyday as well and can see the liner on the sides, it's more clear on the sides and the green where we can't see anything is fixated in the center of the pool.

CYA is around 25, FC:10 TC:10 pH 7.3 TA 170

We're passing the OCLT, and cc is 0. Am I on the right track? Am I doing anything wrong, is there something else we should be doing?

We considered using Floc or doing a partial drain (due to debris in the deep end that we cannot see) not sure if either of these would help or just make worse.

Thank you in advanced, hope that wasn't too long -_-

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I actually find your scenario troubling because you should not be able to pass an OCLT and I would think you should have "some" CCs. I can only assume this is algae in the water because you can't see down into the muck and junk. But I will say that it is imperative to keep working to remove any bulk debris down below otherwise it will hamper your SLAM. The bleach (FC) is designed to work against the lighter algae and organics, but not breakdown bulk materials.

I would also recommend double-checking the CYA tomorrow under good sunlight. Test outside with bright sun at your back. Repeat the test several times if need with same solution (back & forth). If it's showing low (below 20) you may actually have next to no stabilizer left meaning it needs to be increased back up to 30. If you find the CYA is actually 30 or more, then the FC should be at least 12

Also remember that a SLAM can take a good 2 weeks on a really bad pool, and your sounds like it is. So keep it steady and stay with it. The SLAM will work if you follow everything listed on that page and have good test results to back it up as you go. Great to have you with us.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It looks to me like you are on the right track. Where you are is often the hardest part of the SLAM. Don't give up and let your chlorine slip. run the pump 24/7, rinse, clean brush.....all of the things to keep the water stirred up (for filtration) and the chlorine distributed throughout the pool.

Take a pic if you can. It'll help us see where you are and, tomorrow, it will show if you are making progress.

Here's a couple pictures I took this morning, It looked lighter yesterday and I could see further down near the sides, but usually after we brush it gets all green like this again. I'm assuming since I "mix it all up". We are going to work on getting more out of the deep end today as long as the weather permits. It has also been raining almost every day here for the last month which probably doesn't help.

We will keep at it, at least I know I am on the right track. I took a picture of the entire pool as well but it's corrupted some how so I'll upload that one later.

pool3_zpsjhd901xt.jpgpool1_zpsriymbgk0.jpg

As for test kit, I'm waiting on the TF100 based on suggestions I read here, but ship time is really delayed.

So while I'm waiting I've been using the HTH 6 way test kit and two different kinds of test strips (nature's way + aquacheck and then the one's left from the previous owner which are instatest 3 plus) just to see how they all compare.

The HTH should help you keep pH and TA within limits until the TF-100 arrives. Until the kit arrives, I would continue to add 1/2- one gallon of bleach each day. It won't clear the water, but may help keep the situation from escalating. I certainly wouldn't try to adjust any levels right now (other than pH) or add any chemicals to the water other than regular bleach. Continued water movement and scooping is a great idea.

So minor problem that we are unsure how to handle. Fiancé was out brushing the sides, came in and said the cover of the light fixture popped off and is now open, and hanging by the wires. He said it already looks rusted on the inside but we're unsure of how to proceed. The fixture is underneath the water, we aren't able to get to it. Do we just forget about it for the time being or should we partially drain to just past the fixture to deal with it?

The switch to the light is off so it's obviously not getting power to it.

You should just be able to pull the light up & out of the water by its cord and let the light rest on the pool decking. Let the chlorine-filled water fill that niche and clean it. Probably a good thing. You can always replace the light later when you don't need a wet suit to get in there. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just thought I'd post an update. Continued brushing and SLAM process, we got a leaf bagger which helped us get a TON of leaves and junk out and now it's a pretty (but very cloudy) blue. When the sun is shining we can (for the most part) see to the bottom. Hoping this is the light at the end of a very long tunnel lol. Been at this since April 22nd.

I am in PA as well and wanted to let you know we have an James Austin's Company in PA. They make a high concentration bleach and it's cheap if you can find it at the right places. You may want to look around for it when you are out and about. Don't bother calling them for some odd reason they will not disclose where they sell it. I buy mine at the local hardware store. It's an ACE Hardware Franchise. $2.99 a gallon and it's 12.5% If you have ACE in Hopwood I would call them. It's a huge money saver and you have less jugs to deal with.

The guys at the hardware store told me a couple of our local pool stores sell it, but for $10 and $13 a gallon ~ so if you are out and about keep and eye out and when you see it for $2.99/ gallon stock up.

Your pool is coming along nicely :)

Edit for a ton of Typos and to tell you the product name: Austin's Pool Tech Shock.

Well now that we can see the bottom of the pool I've noticed huge "canyons" and lumps in the bottom and on the sides in one section of the deep end, major eyesore but doesn't seem to be causing any problems from what I can tell.. this is also my first pool though so what do I know lol. I'm just hoping to be able to get a season out of it this year and then figure out where to go from there.

Aside from that, some slight cloudiness and a copper problem (ugh) the pool is no longer a swamp. This forum was a huge help and I greatly appreciate all the advice given, I would've given up had I not found this place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.