Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqualoon Filter Balls

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqualoon Filter Balls

Has anyone used these instead of sand in their sand filter?
    16' x 32' inground Foxx sport pool. 15,300 gallons estimate. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 returns. Concrete bottom with metal side panels and vinyl liner. Sport pool has 3ft depth on each end that gradually goes to 6ft depth in the center. Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump. Hayward Pro Series sand filter #S-244T. 300 lbs sand. Filtration rate-20 GPM/ft2. Filtration and backwash design flow rate-62 GPM. Maximum Working Pressure- 50 PSI.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqualoon Filter Balls

Have never heard of them and there are no reviews.........would be interesting to see if they would be willing to help you with the price for them to do a review on their site to them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I was just about to post about this!! My pool guy insists it is far better than sand, and that's what we're going to start out with in our new sand filter. I can barely find them anywhere online and I sure would love some reassurance.
    ------
    My pools:
    2013-15: Intex Quickset 10 ft round + dinky Intex cartridge filters
    Summer 2016: Bestway above-ground 4.12 X 2 X 1.22 meter (13.5 X 6.5 X 4 feet), plus 'Splash' 1/2 HP 3200 gallon sand pump
    Super dusty climate, kids with lots of friends :)

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sorry, this is nothing but a product looking for a problem IMHO. Sand has been around for millions of years and unless you use something else silly in the water to actually damage it, sand will last forever. The only people who say you should replace sand on a regular basis are the folks who sell sand of sell the replacement service.

They claim "longer life", but how do you have anything longer than forever?

They claim "Polyethylene is a 100% recyclable material, which means that AQUALOON has added an ecological aspect to its technology", so again we are going to replace a 100% natural product with a petrochemical product?

They claim "Easy disposal, non toxic" which tells me they want you to replace it on a regular basis. Yearly, every other year? Who knows, they don't have anything in their advertising.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

So you want to fill your sand filter with pillow stuffing in a fancy package.

Will it work? Yes it will work as a filter, Polyethylene has been used as a filter media for many years in many different forms
    Does it have the same particle size retention? They claim retention down to 1 micron, Sand is effective down to ~40 micron
    Will backwashing be effective to clean the media? At first yes but over time the fill will compress and become harder to backwash which will lead to the need to replace the media.
    Does it last longer than sand? No not even close.
    Is it better than sand or will it have better performance than sand? It depends on how you spin the numbers. Cost wise it looks to be reasonable at ~25USD for the equivalent of 50lbs of sand.

It looks like a neat product that promises a lot. I'm doubtful that it will live up to all its claims. Let us know how your experience goes.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

I would definitely stick with the sand. Many thousands of people here are successful using sand in their sand filters.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Appreciate the opinions, all!
    ------
    My pools:
    Summer 2016: Bestway above-ground 4.12 X 2 X 1.22 meter (13.5 X 6.5 X 4 feet), plus 'Splash' 1/2 HP 3200 gallon sand pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey everyone! I just wanted to post an update, 3 months later...

Long story short: GREAT filtering from the Aqualoon! Now I can only compare it to cartridge filters; it's been a dream in comparison.

Tons of use, construction in the neighborhood (so dust, dust and dust)... and my pressure gauge didn't budge for the first six weeks or so, and my water was LOVELY.

It finally inched up a bit, and I tried to backwash... Here's the thing. I don't know if my filter is crappy at backwashing, or if it was the Aqualoon, but when I backwashed (you're supposed to go until the water is 'clear').... the water was clear the whole time. I'm new at this, so I shrugged and let it go.

By 4 weeks later, my pressure was barely higher, but the pool was also not as clear, and dirt, etc was accumulating in the corners making me believe the circulation was deteriorating. Sure enough, the return jet seemed a bit sluggish.

Anyway, tonight I just opened the filter (I'm kicking myself I didn't take pictures). The Aqualoon was grey and swimming in murky gray water.... but they were still fluffy, not compacted. I fished some out, easily rinsed them clean back to like-new whiteness.

Hmm.

So I dumped them ALL out, rinsed them all by hand with a hose, and put the unit back together. Essentially, I manually backwashed them.

WOW!

So my conclusion is: Aqualoon does a GREAT job of filtering, but either it doesn't backwash well.... or my filter is crappy at backwashing. I suspect the latter.
    ------
    My pools:

9. Back To Top    #9

You put them in the filter in place of the sand.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Eeesh, scary stuff. I know how clogged a skimmer sock gets, I can only imagine these things being polluted with algae and or pollen. No way a backwash will clean them off. They would need a good amount of pressure and water. Yet another company trying to reinvent the wheel. A wheel (sand) that does an adequate job, never wears out and if it needs to be replaced won't ruin the environment or pollute our landfills.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi,

Started using aqualoon also in my filter. Filters great, but indeed, backwashing does not work properly. It is a brand new filter, and only clear water is coming out when i do a backwash. I also open my filter and clean them by hand by rinsing them with the hose. And they were really dirty. I do have a lot of micro biological stuff in my water, and with sand it took me always over three weeks to get clean water, now, after a couple of days, it was almost clear already. But nowhere to find a link to the firm making them, so I could ask about the backwash stuff. So by now, I will do it by hand.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JohanDW View Post
    Hi,

Started using aqualoon also in my filter. Filters great, but indeed, backwashing does not work properly. It is a brand new filter, and only clear water is coming out when i do a backwash. I also open my filter and clean them by hand by rinsing them with the hose. And they were really dirty. I do have a lot of micro biological stuff in my water, and with sand it took me always over three weeks to get clean water, now, after a couple of days, it was almost clear already. But nowhere to find a link to the firm making them, so I could ask about the backwash stuff. So by now, I will do it by hand.
    I just watched a video on youtube that shows them in a laundry bag being placed into a washing machine. Do the directions mention this?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir