Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubble question

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubble question

So as I was checking to see if back washing was necessary I noticed a little air in the pump basket. So I started to play with the valves. It seems when i turn off the skimmers the bottom drain has almost no air bubbles in the pump basket box window. Whren I shut off the main drain valve and leave just the skimmers on, there is a noticeable amount of small air bubbles. When both valves are open the air bubbles pretty much disappear. I assume this means a problem somewhere. The filter runs great, the pressure is constant at 14psi and i can't notice any air being sucked in. Any suggestions?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubble question

As long as the air bubbles are small, there should not be an issue. Are the bubbles grapefruit size or pea size or somewhere in between?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Smaller than a pea. Probably about a 1/4 the size. I can see them shooting through from the pvc. If the skimmers arent sucking air from a vortex, where the heck could the air come from? I checked the drain plugs in the box, dont see any drips from piping. I'll have to wait for dry weather to be a 100% but......
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

4. Back To Top    #4

I checked the drain plugs in the box, don't see any drips from piping.
    If you are getting air, you won't see water leak out because it is on the suction side of the pump. Lube the drain plugs and pump basket lid. Other sources could be valves.

But usually if the air bubbles are that small, it could be out gassing and not really a leak.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I do probably have to lube the lid. I shut the pump off, cleaned the lid and rim and put it back on. Seems to be alot less teeny tiny bubbles.

- - - Updated - - -

What is out gassing?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you ever watched a glass of cold water warm in the sun? Small bubbles form on the glass sides. This is dissolved air (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc) coming out of solution. This can also happen in a pump where the pressure is below atmospheric which can draw air from the water.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Makes sense. Thanks again
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle