Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I block a skimmer at the weir door?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I block a skimmer at the weir door?

I have 2 skimmers and a main drain. One skimmer has multiple cracks and repairs. I lose about a quarter inch of water a day. I think rhat skimmer may be the culprit. I am trying bucket test over next few days to figure out more. But it occurred to me that maybe I can take this skimmer offline and just use 1 and the main drain (if it is the problem) . I can rubber stop the inlet but I need to stop the water from going into the skimmer housing at all. Is this possible. My skimmers don't have weir doors anymore. Is that all I need. Is there a way to block it completely at the pool. I suppose as last resort I could take pool level down and use no skimmers and just main drain? Thanks!
    Kayak? 19' x 34' 21k Gal. Kidney | IG | Fiberglass Panel Sides with Concrete Bottom | Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S244S, SP710X62 Vari-Flo Valve | Hayward Super Pump 1 HP Single Speed SP2607X10 | Built 2004| TFTestkits TF-100 | Aquabot Rapids 4WD, Jandy Lite2 Gas Heater, American Products Auto Skimmer and Auto-Fill, Rayner Safety Cover | City Water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I block a skimmer at the weir door?

A weir door will not seal the skimmer so that won't work. The only way to isolate the skimmer would be to lower the water level below it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

you can use this, it will not stop 100% of the water though but it will slow it down...

Amazon.com : Simpooltech Wide Mouth Skimmer Plug : Swimming Pool Covers : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! That might work If not I can lower the level and work on it.
    Kayak? 19' x 34' 21k Gal. Kidney | IG | Fiberglass Panel Sides with Concrete Bottom | Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S244S, SP710X62 Vari-Flo Valve | Hayward Super Pump 1 HP Single Speed SP2607X10 | Built 2004| TFTestkits TF-100 | Aquabot Rapids 4WD, Jandy Lite2 Gas Heater, American Products Auto Skimmer and Auto-Fill, Rayner Safety Cover | City Water

5. Back To Top    #5

I doubt that will seal the skimmer well enough to prevent flow. But you can check by emptying the skimmer after sealing it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    I doubt that will seal the skimmer well enough to prevent flow. But you can check by emptying the skimmer after sealing it.
    You are correct, it will fill up within 10 to 20 minutes depending on how good the seal is.. I used it for closing just to keep the water out to blow the water out the pipe and install the gizmo..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7