Planning And Build In North Port, FL

drand98

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2016
North Port, FL
My wife and I recently moved our family of three girls to Florida last summer. We looked at many homes with pools during our search but most did not have a spa which was a must for us and or we just didn't get the "feel" from the pool and or outdoor space we were looking for. We decided to change our search to the actual house and neighborhood we were looking for with no regards to a pool or not with the intention of putting one in. We love our new home but now we need the pool.

We have met with five different pool builders(well salespeople) in our area and have pretty much narrowed it down to one. We are hoping to make a decision and sign a contract next week in order to get it started as soon as possible. I found your forum a couple of days ago and have been reading as much as I can. I was hoping to get some feedback on the bids as well as ask some questions concerning the choices(lighting, finish and spa height) we need to make soon. The guest/Pool house to the left of the pool in the photo is not there yet that was left over from an earlier full backyard design and will have to wait for another project.

Rand2_003.jpgRand2_007.jpg

Pool: 28'8" x 16'4" (366 sq') 3' to 5'6" depth

 1 Year Warranty On All Workmanship Of Your Superior Investment
 Web Based Communication Scheduling System Used To Build Your Pool. You Receive Your Own Personal User Log In
 6” 4000 PSI Concrete Shell With (LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY)
 Minimum 3 Yard Stabilization Rock Under Swimming Pool Shell (With Sump Pump System)
 Three Large Steps In Shallow End / Swim Out In Deep End Per Code (With 1x1 Glass Diamonds)
 Stone Scapes Certified (Regular Pebble) 5 Standard Colors (LIFETIME WARRANTY INCLUDES LABOR)
 2 Pentair Glo Brite LED Color Changing Lights http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/GlobriteDS.pdf
 All 2 Inch Schedule 40 Plumbing Suction Lines (Per Code)
 Vacation Setting Valve (3 Way Valve So You Can Shut Your Skimmer Off When Out of Town)
 Oversized Concrete Equipment Pad
 Automatic Timer With Transformer & Breakers (All In One Panel)
 All Swimming Pool Electric (Per Code) Installed (30 Amp Breaker)
 60 amp Breaker for Heat Pump
 AquaCal SQ145 Heat Pump
 Automatic Dedicated Over Flow System
 4 Adjustable Returns (Self-Regulating Paramount I-Jet Return Inlets) iJet - Paramount Pool and Spas
 Unblockable 32 Inch Channel Drain 640-136 XV Packaged With An Oversized Admiral Surface Skimmer
 Decorative 6 x 6 Waterline. Your Choice Of Ceramic Or Porcelain Waterline Tile
 Pentair Oversized Intelliflo Variable Speed 3 HP Pump VS http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/intelliflovspeedwtimerB.pdf
 Pentair Oversized 150 Clean & Clear RP Cartridge Filter http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/intelliflovspeedwtimerB.pdf
 Pentair Oversized Intellichlor IC-40 Salt System (Salt Included) http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/intellichlorDS.pdf
 All Pentair Products Include An 3 Year Warranty (Superior Pools Handles All The Warranty & Docs)
 1 Year Warranty On All Workmanship Of Your Superior Investment

Paver Deck: (626 sq') under Lanai (239 sq')

 Compaction Of Soil With Heavy Jumping Jack Compactor
 2” Deco-Drain & Termite Spray Installed (Per Code)
 Poured 3000 PSI 8 x 8 Footer With (Fiber Mesh, Bonding Grid Around Entire Pool, #5 Rebar)
 Bullnose Thick White Cement Coping (All Colors Are Standard) Coping Colors - TriCircle Pavers
 Matching Colored Grout Included http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/Grout_Color_chart.pdf
 Thick White Cement Pavers (All Colors & Patterns Are Standard) Pavers - TriCircle Pavers
 Minimum of 2 Inches Of Crushed Shell Base Installed & Compacted
 Toping Sand Installed Over Entire Surface (Used To Lock In Pavers)
 Large Border Installed Around The Whole Deck & Lanai
 Two 4 x 4 Paver Door Pads Installed

Spa: 6' Round 3'6" Depth

 14” raise
 Screen Logic App
 Double Row Bullnose Thick White Cement Coping (All Colors Are Standard) Coping Colors - TriCircle Pavers
 (4) Therapy Jets
 1 Pentair GloBrite LED Color Changing Light
 1 Spillway
 Pre-Plumbed to make therapy jets more efficient with better pressure

Cage: Mansard Style

 Cage Installed By ABSOLUTE ALUMINUM ONLY (Partnered With Superior Pools Only)
 Protect Screws & Caps Throughout Entire Cage (Prevents & Rust Corrosion)
 Two Screened Doors with Key Locks
 Mansard Screen Enclosure, Bronze or White Sarasota Outdoor Kitchens | Pool Enclosures | Pergolas (941-497-7777)
 We Partner With Absolute Aluminum. The Will Not Install For Any Other Pool Contractor
 Extend 7” super gutter to end of house

Complete Cost Of Investment:

 State Licensed (#CPC14566447) Fully Insured & Bonded All Taxes & Labor Included
 Superior Pools Builds 90% Of Your Swimming Pool In-House. Compared To The Industry Average 10%
 All Permitting & All Engineering Costs Included
 Battery Alarms Installed By Superior Pools To County Code, Accept All Responsibility
 Full Time Warranty Staff With 30 In-House Employees
 WE GUARANTEE 40 DAYS OR LESS (From Breaking Ground To Water In Your Pool)
 Rated One Of The Top 50 Pool Companies In The Nation By Pool & Spa News
 Gulf Coast Top 500 Companies 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 2014 2015
 Superior Service Award on Angie's List 2013, 2014, 2015
 Member of the BBB A+ Rating http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business-reviews/swimming-pool-contractors-dealers-
design/superior-pools-of-southwest-florida-in-port-charlotte-fl-90008202
 Member of Houzz Superior Pools - Port Charlotte, FL, US 33953
 Member Of Guild Quality Please Read Our Reviews Superior Pools Of SW Florida of Port Charlotte, FL | reviews and customer feedback from GuildQuality surveys - GuildQuality
 Read Our Reviews Pool Design & Building in Port Charlotte FL by Superior Pools
 You Only Build A Pool Once, There Are No Returns Or Refunds, Best Advice, Do Your Research
 Our Competitors Quote The Least Expensive Pools Then Add Charges During Construction Buyer Beware.
 GUARANTEED NO ADD ON CHARGES

$61,682.00

This by no means is a final plan as we have reservations about the price and are concerned about whether the finish we want is included or extra. I am also concerned whether the two lights are bright enough for the pool as they are listed everywhere as shallow water lights.We have other concerns as well but I do not want to go on and on in my first post. Hopefully this is enough to get started and introduce myself. I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Dennis

Price quoted is about the same as I am paying for my pool & screen in the Orlando Area from a small PB. You can see my basic specs in my signature and some pictures on my construction thread.

Note, I don't have a spa, heat pump or Salt System but have other features.

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us. Plenty to read here. The place can be addictive. Your plan looks really nice. I was somewhat blown away by two items in your bid, for the good that is. First is the Web-Based Communication Scheduling system and second the 40
Day to Water guarantee. On the portal, I'll be very interested to see how that plays out. I've never seen or heard of a PB using that on here. Most/many have communication towards the bottom of their skill sets much to the chagrin of their customers. Sure would be nice to be in the know - which is the biggest complaint here - not knowing who's coming when. On the guarantee, that's nice. I suspect he builds faster that the average PB since he words it that way. What fine print did he give you on that spec?
Sometimes the devil can be in the details regarding pricing. I know he says no add-ons but certainly there could be up-charges for upgrades. There are many areas, that if you haven't fully investigated, which you may not want his standard options. You may have made all those choices which would be great. Many though make final tile, coping and plaster choices as they go. MANY of which end up being higher than allowed amount.
Let us know what question you come up with.

Thanks for the replies. We signed the contract yesterday. Although I am not sure about the 40 day to water guarantee(never actually asked) I know that they do have a solid reputation for getting them done quickly. A lot of that I am sure is the fact that as they also say in the quote that almost all work is done in house rather than by subs which might have other commitments when they are ready for them. They also showed me pictures of a dome type clear plastic tent thing that they use when it rains. She said they work in anything but thunderstorms and hurricanes. So I am confident that they will come in somewhere around there.

We have selected everything but our tile. My wife thinks we will be looking at an upgrade for that. we changed the spa from 6' to 7', The pavers are 12"x12" cage will be bronze(dark brown) and the finish will be stonescapes regular pebble aqua blue with blue stones added.

We are very excited for the dig to start. Too bad we might be waiting as long as a month for permitting.

So even with Tropical Storm Colin bearing down on us yesterday they still started the pool. They actually got the layout done working in mostly light rain and finished before the major downpours hit. Much to the chagrin of my wife and probably the neighbors they showed up around 7:30am today with the excavator. I will keep you updated with pictures from today later on.

20160606_093540_zpsiby6gof5.jpg

20160606_161554_zps7fgxf8qq.jpg

20160606_165927_zpsbqmzdoev.jpg

This is my first time having a pool built but it sure seems like these guys are fast. First time on site was yesterday in a tropical storm and earlier today they were ready for the rebar inspection. They have all the plumbing lines and electrical conduit on site and ready to go as well. I can say that I am very happy with how fast my yard went from flat to a mess. We also added two more jets to the spa as an oversight I guess we still had just four jets after moving the size from a 6' to a 7'.

20160607_085744_zpsuwj1koa2.jpg

20160607_125857_zpshib24kyh.jpg

I am not sure why they only covered one side but oh well.

20160607_173952_zpspy9c8ky1.jpg

Now is the time to measure.......is it long, deep, wide, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix it. Is everything there? Light places, benches, etc. We just had one where they forgot the tanning ledge :(

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whoop whoop for gunite day!!! Best way to ensure you all are on the same page is to make contact when they arrive and go over any special areas of concern. Looking forward to seeing it later!! Have fun!

Thanks, but it looks like mother nature screwed us out of having the shell completed on the third day of the build. Apparently it started poring on the last job and made a mess so the gunite guys have to clean up that one. I hope the other pool comes out ok as they are going through the same process as us and I am sure are worried about whatever the "mess" was.

Too bad it got delayed, but it won't be long.

I misread your earlier post. I thought it said "Shooting the pool this afternoon. Apparently I'm very excited."

Update:

They showed up at 7:30am to shoot the pool after about 20 minutes of prep they started shooting it then less than 5 minutes in the pump truck broke down. After an hour of racing between the mechanic and the rain they are currently back at it. If we are able to get the shell in today I will be very happy as this is day four of the build and they have had to deal with torrential rains every day. Rain, rain... go away, come back again some other day.

Update: Ok, I am sorry I didn't get around to posting pics or updating this thread over the weekend. They worked Friday dodging the rain and the progress was phenomenal in my estimation. Here are some pics from Friday and here in a little bit I will put some up from today.

20160610_091655_zpstacojx9p.jpg

20160610_112832_zpsnrjx2zl2.jpg

20160610_170751_zpsvup9fcoe.jpg

20160611_091012_zps3hzmf0wt.jpg

20160611_091138_zpsz43k1trx.jpg

I am sorry the one image of the coping, waterline and accent tiles wouldn't rotate. Not shown in that picture is the pavers which are exactly the same as the coping and the tan color tile for the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.