Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering TA and dropped PH too much. Issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA and dropped PH too much. Issues?

I dropped my PH to about 6.7 after I added too much acid last night. I'm aerating, but it takes forever to increase.

Readings in case it's needed.

Ph: 6.7
    Fc: 8.5
    Cc: .5
    Ta: 90-100
    Cya: 60

Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks!
    ~16k Gal, IG white plaster pool - Built 1986 re-plastered 2012, Pentair CC 420 cartridge filter, Pentair variable speed pump both installed 2015, Barracuda cleaner, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA and dropped PH too much. Issues?

That is quite low. I guess I'd have to know more about how your pool (pH) normally responds to aeration. If it usually rises fast, then I'd just keep aerating. But if it drags-on, you might add just a little borax just to help get it back to about 7.0, then let aeration take over.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    That is quite low. I guess I'd have to know more about how your pool (pH) normally responds to aeration. If it usually rises fast, then I'd just keep aerating. But if it drags-on, you might add just a little borax just to help get it back to about 7.0, then let aeration take over.
    Normally it rises really quick, but Ive noticed since Ive been reducing from a TA of 240, its slowed down. Yesterday my ph was 7.4 (TA 140) and after the kids swam for several hours it jumped to 7.6. I seem to get a .2-.4 ppm increase per day while aerating.

If I let it be for a couple days am I at risk of any sort of irreparable damage?
    ~16k Gal, IG white plaster pool - Built 1986 re-plastered 2012, Pentair CC 420 cartridge filter, Pentair variable speed pump both installed 2015, Barracuda cleaner, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not for just a couple days. You have no heater or copper lines, so we're just concerned for your plaster (CSI level). But if it doesn't start to rise soon, you can give it a little "encouragement".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'm almost on the same page as y'all but I would rather bring it back to 7.2 if it's not there in 24 hours. A couple of days would make be uncomfortable.

20 Mule Team Borax will put you spot on where you want in 15 minutes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The ph has gone up to 6.9-7.0 after I aerated all day yesterday. I've turned the aeration back on. From the sounds of everyone is that I'll be ok if I get it up to 7.2 today. Correct?

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that's much better.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah, good work. Lower than 6.8 gets into an "uh-oh" and the last thing anyone needs is for the expert pool guy to say, "uh-oh"!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School