Just opened pool and did 1st test w newly bought tf-100

Welcome to TFP :)

you're a little low on PH but fine to start your SLAM.. once done with your SLAM then we will get everything else going :)

Ok I finished Slamming, and the pool is clear and did not lose any FC over night.
FC - 4, CC - 0, PH 7.3, CH - 50, TA 100, Cya 0 (I have cya dissolving in a sock in skimmer)
I have a staining problem also, (put vitamin C tabs on areas and it removed stains), so I also want to give pool a dose of absorbic acid, then Metal sequestering agent.
What do you recommend I do 1st ???

Wow! You're doing a bunch of catch-up.

I hope you will slow down a bit and make sure your pool has been sanitized. That said, if you have the AA and are ready to go for it, there is an article in Pool School you should read first.

So you think it is better to treat the stains now and then adjust everything after that??
No. I would like to see your numbers stay stabilized for a day or two. But, if you say you have it down pat and you have no balance issues and understand how to manage your pool, then it's time to remove the stains.

Most folks can't go that fast but we'll certainly help you if you decide to start stain removal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok Thanks Again. I am going to wait another day. Then I will follow the stain removal instructions. After that I will wait another day, then try to get all else correct, such as raise CH, raise salt, raising cya (in progress).

The pool was installed 3 yrs ago, and I filled it with city/town water, but this town gets most of its water from Township wells, so thats where the metals must be coming from. I think next year I will replace the water with purchased water.

Dave,
I did take your advice and waited before doing the stain removal (ascorbic acid treatment). I just did it last nite.
At 6pm fc was below 1. I put in 1 lb of acid, very slight change after 45 minutes. I put in 1 more Lb of acid, still only very slight change, after one more hour. I put in 1 more lb of acid, and still very slight change. I decided not to add the Metal Sequester until morning. In morning pool still had visible stains, just a slight improvement from last nite. I then added the Metal Sequester at 8am. I checked the pool at Noon and all the stains were gone. It seems like the stains did not clear up until I added the Metal Sequestering Agent. Is that Possible??
Anyway the pool looks like new again. Thank You.
I will now get the ph and FC back up slowly.

It seems like the stains did not clear up until I added the Metal Sequestering Agent. Is that Possible??
Absolutely. The sequestrant moves the precipitated material back into a soluble form and they disappear. Be aware that the iron is still in there and you will need to add sequestrant from time to time to keep it from reappearing.

Dave,
I adjusted the ph yesterday (it went down to 6.8 from the acid) and got it up to 7.2 right away with Borax. Now I have been adding about 32 fl oz of 8.25% bleach and then rechecking. I have done this 4 times (added a total of 1 gallon bleach), but still zero FC. I guess this is normal also?? This morning I also put my SWG up to 100%. My plan is to keep dosing with 30 OZ of bleach and keep re-checking. Is this what I should keep doing??
By the way all the tests were as follows 24 hrs after the Abscorbic acid treatment.
FC 0, PH 6.8, TA 80, Cya 40 I still need to get this up, CH 220

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.