Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going crazy choosing new liner!

1. Back To Top    #1

Going crazy choosing new liner!

Hi all.
    We are getting a new liner for our in ground pool. I am having the hardest time trying to choose a liner. The choices are from Pacific and Plastimayd. I am interested in the tan liners but am a little scared to take that leap. And if we get blue my husband wants a darker blue than we have now.

Do any of you have any photos of liners from these 2 companies that you could post here for me? I really need help with this and don't have much time to decide. I don't have the names of the ones we're considering right this minute, but will post them later. And we're interested in ANY that you all may have had installed if you have pictures.

Thank you for any and all help with this super hard decision. I only get one chance!

Sherry
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Going crazy choosing new liner!

Thank you cowboycasey.
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

4. Back To Top    #4

We decided to replace our liner before it leaked, and my wife asked me to see which ones I liked. I pretty much spent 30 seconds looking and decided I didn't care enough to keep looking. She did show me one that I didn't like and said no to that one. I'm not even 100% sure what we are getting, but I'm sure it will be OK.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is my build thread and we used a tan liner called Gold Pebble from Kafko. Up close, this is what it looks like.

51172-4691377.jpg

Here is my build thread so you can see the color of the water. Tan liners allow for a natural blue color as none of the blue comes from the liner. It is much more Caribbean in color.

Vinyl Liner Pool near Pittsburgh (install and pictures)

Hope this help!!

Mr. Wolfe

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, Mr Wolfe, that is gorgeous! I wonder why they keep telling me the water is going to look brown or clear. I told them the water doesn't look brown in the photos I see. But they insist it will look brown because it's in a small area. Not like the ocean. My pool is just a normal size. It's a rectangular 16x36. Regardless, your pool is really beautiful! Thank you for the link. One question though. It doesn't look like you have a border at the top water line. Did you go all the way to the top with the Gold Pebble?
    Sherry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jstblush View Post
    Wow, Mr Wolfe, that is gorgeous! I wonder why they keep telling me the water is going to look brown or clear. I told them the water doesn't look brown in the photos I see. But they insist it will look brown because it's in a small area. Not like the ocean. My pool is just a normal size. It's a rectangular 16x36. Regardless, your pool is really beautiful! Thank you for the link. One question though. It doesn't look like you have a border at the top water line. Did you go all the way to the top with the Gold Pebble?
    Sherry
    Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the compliments. The water is absolutely gorgeous if I do say so myself. I promise you it will not look clear or brown. You can see from my pictures that even when we first started filling the pool it was already a Carribean blue color. At 6" of water or less it may appear clear. Good luck with your decision I would really push for the brown liner.

Oh, and yes, we decided to go borderless and have the gold pebble go to the top. 2 reasons, but they are both obviously subjective. 1) The border is designed to emulate real tile and I didn't want that. I wanted it to look more natural and 2) We have exposed aggregate concrete around the pool and it appears to be an almost perfect match to the liner. We have had many people think that our pool is concrete instead of a liner - even in person.

Good luck!
    Mr. Wolfe

8. Back To Top    #8

Mr. Wolfe, I had planned on getting this exact liner, no boarder as well. You say in 6" of water it make appear clear. You do mean inches and not 6ft or less right? I'm getting a sports bottom that will be 4ft on both ends meeting right at 6ft in the middle. Your pool and deck are beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
    Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the compliments. The water is absolutely gorgeous if I do say so myself. I promise you it will not look clear or brown. You can see from my pictures that even when we first started filling the pool it was already a Carribean blue color. At 6" of water or less it may appear clear. Good luck with your decision I would really push for the brown liner.

Oh, and yes, we decided to go borderless and have the gold pebble go to the top. 2 reasons, but they are both obviously subjective. 1) The border is designed to emulate real tile and I didn't want that. I wanted it to look more natural and 2) We have exposed aggregate concrete around the pool and it appears to be an almost perfect match to the liner. We have had many people think that our pool is concrete instead of a liner - even in person.

Good luck!
    Mr. Wolfe
    15x30 rectangle vinyl IG, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II 19" sand filter, Sta-Rite Super Max .75 HP 2 speed, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 bench jets, 2" plumbing, TF-100 kit, Latham Gold Pebble liner. Dolphin Active 10 robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

6 inches

we have a similar liner from Latham and only our sun deck looks clear. One step off the sun deck and you're in the caribean
    18x40 vinyl IG w/ 12x5 sun deck, Fort Wayne polymer walls, pentair intelliflo, pentair 420 cartridge, IC-40, Hayward 300btu heater, 4 glo-brite LED, Latham gold pebble liner

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm always amazed how many pool dealers advise their customers that the water will look muddy if they install a tan liner. It really has a nice effect, as you can see in the pictures linked to this thread. The only thing I'd like to add--the water looks a little greenish on an overcast day.
    Making Liners Since 1997
    Pool Liner Factory Outlet

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you both for your input! I think they look very pretty.
    15x30 rectangle vinyl IG, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II 19" sand filter, Sta-Rite Super Max .75 HP 2 speed, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 bench jets, 2" plumbing, TF-100 kit, Latham Gold Pebble liner. Dolphin Active 10 robot.