Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brands of hardness increaser

1. Back To Top    #1

Brands of hardness increaser

New pool, need to get CH from125 to 350+ so need a lot of calcium chloride, looking to get a couple 40 lb bags or 25/50 pound bags. I'm in Ohio but missed the winter supply of cheap de-icer options it seems. I can order online from pool supply store but didn't want to spend $150. Has anyone used the Morton ice melt, it is a mixture of sodium chloride and calcium chloride, and my pool needs another 40 lbs of salt anyway? That's like$4 for 40lb at Walmart. Amazon has Snow Joe professional calcium chloride ice melter that says it's 94% calcium chloride, and I assume the rest is mostly water since it's not anhydrous. Anybody try either of these or heard of others using? I can get 35 lb pails at Leslie's for $65 plus tax I think, but I don't really want to. Since winter is far off and I can't get other cheap options at HD or Lowes, should I just eat the pool store bill? Thoughts welcome.
    26,000g IG, Fiberglass side/Concrete bottom, epoxy paint, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair Cartridge Filter 420, Pentair Intelliflow 3 HP VS pump, Pentair 120 Heat Pump, pool installed 11/2015, painted and equipment installed 4/2016. City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brands of hardness increaser

I'm in the same boat as you minus the salt. I've been pondering what to do for a couple days. I'd love to find something cheap
    30k Gallons, IG plaster, Jacuzzi Sand Storm 350lb Sand filter, 1hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump. Taylor K-2006 kit. Jacuzzi J-D300 side suction vac.

3. Back To Top    #3

Any of those options is fine. Here is the cheat sheet for chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnInDayton View Post
    New pool, need to get CH from125 to 350+ so need a lot of calcium chloride, looking to get a couple 40 lb bags or 25/50 pound bags. I'm in Ohio but missed the winter supply of cheap de-icer options it seems. I can order online from pool supply store but didn't want to spend $150. Has anyone used the Morton ice melt, it is a mixture of sodium chloride and calcium chloride, and my pool needs another 40 lbs of salt anyway? That's like$4 for 40lb at Walmart. Amazon has Snow Joe professional calcium chloride ice melter that says it's 94% calcium chloride, and I assume the rest is mostly water since it's not anhydrous. Anybody try either of these or heard of others using? I can get 35 lb pails at Leslie's for $65 plus tax I think, but I don't really want to. Since winter is far off and I can't get other cheap options at HD or Lowes, should I just eat the pool store bill? Thoughts welcome.
    I recently got the professional snow joe from Amazon and can confirm it works great.

16,388 gallons, IG, Pebble Sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair Whisperflow Pump, August 2015, Taylor K-2006, spa