Automatic Pool Cleaner Hose Getting Pulled into Skimmer

NLITP

Gold Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix
I have a Hayward Aquanaut 200 automatic pool cleaner. I have a large leaf canister attached to the hose, too. As the cleaner makes its rounds, eventually, the hose floats too close to the skimmer. The skimmer draws in the hose and keeps it there until the pump is turned off. There are 2 problems with this:

1) the hose creates a dam so the skimmer starts sucking air
2) the cleaner is tethered to this spot, so can't make it to the extreme ends of the pool any longer

I can get around the issue if I get 100% of the air out of the leaf canister (so it sinks). This causes most of the hose to stay underwater, so it can't travel into the skimmer. But, if I sink the leaf canister, it drags the bottom a bit.

Has anyone had this issue and have a good solution?

Thanks!

Where is your pool cleaner suction line located in relation to the skimmer? Where exactly on the pool cleaner hose is the leaf canister (between the first and second sections of hose or elsewhere)?

Maybe a picture of the above will help us better visualize your setup and allow us to offer some options.

Thanks for finding this screen. I checked it out, but saw in the Q/A section the following:

"...note that water level should be kept near center of skimmer when a cleaner hose is used; if it get high or low, hose gets pulled against grid and blocks debris entry."

I have doubts that this would really work in my situation. It may keep the hose from going into the skimmer, but I'm guessing the hose will still be pulled up against this screen and cause the same issue. Do you have this screen and it solved your issue?

Thanks for finding this screen. I checked it out, but saw in the Q/A section the following:

"...note that water level should be kept near center of skimmer when a cleaner hose is used; if it get high or low, hose gets pulled against grid and blocks debris entry."

I have doubts that this would really work in my situation. It may keep the hose from going into the skimmer, but I'm guessing the hose will still be pulled up against this screen and cause the same issue. Do you have this screen and it solved your issue?

I have a robot so I don't share the issue. This would at least keep the hose from entering the skimmer and should avoid a complete seal

As a test, try moving the leaf canister in between the 2nd and 3rd section of the hose. This may help prevent the hose from getting to the skimmer. Also, to start, make sure the hose doesn't loop around and cross over the line between the suction port and canister (as it does in your pic).

Another option might be to get one or two of the weights that you would put on the leader hose at the cleaner end. Put one (to start) on the hose at an approximate distance from the cleaner port to the skimmer -from the pic, near the joint of the 2nd and 3rd hose. This may weigh down the hose just enough to prevent it being sucked into the skimmer. Before actually purchasing the weight, you could try taping a small weighted object to the hose for testing purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, the guard would prevent the hose from being pulled completely in - and should allow the cleaner action to pull the hose away from the opening as it travels the pool floor.

So, the skimmer guard I purchased doesn't fit my skimmer. My skimmer is more of a rectangle, while the guard is more of a square. I didn't look at it close enough and assumed it was adjustable. If it was more than $6, I think I would have looked at it more carefully.

If someone has seen a guard that fits a more rectangular shape (which is also all tiled in), let me know. I'll keep looking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, for future searchers on this topic, thought I'd share what finally worked...

I started asking myself, why now? Why, after 1 year, is this just now becoming an issue... what has changed? The water level was dead center in the middle of my 6" surround tiles, but it looked a little low from where I've had the level in the past. So, I adjusted the auto-fill to raise the level to 3 1/2" up the 6" tile. This made the difference!! Now when the hose drifts over to the skimmer, it does not sucked all the way in. So, when the vacuum heads away from the skimmer, the hose easily pulls away from the skimmer and the vacuum continues on.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.