Opened pool to green - need help please

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
Hello everyone,

Opened the pool this year and it came with a nice green mess in it. Wondering where I should go from here? I've run my numbers 2 days in a row (it was opened on Thursday, took numbers on Friday and Saturday). I just vacuumed it today. I also added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine (pool sanitizer - 10% sodium hypochlorite last night). The pool still looks just as green as when it was opened. Any suggestions for what I need to do to get this pool back in good shape? I'm keeping up with the filter, needing to backwash about every 12 hours. Also to note there are 2 skimmers and the main drain in the deep end does not work, so it takes a bit longer for my pool to turnover. I have the TF-100 test kit

Here are my numbers from the past 2 days:

5/20
FC - 6ppm
CC - 0ppm
TC - 6ppm
TA - 100 - 110 ppm
CYA - 25 or 30
PH 7.3
Chlorine from blue box quick test - 1ppm

5/21/16 after 1 gallon of liquid chlorine added and pool vacuumed
FC - 14ppm
CC - 0ppm
TC - 14ppm
TA - 120ppm
Calcium Hardness - 100-125ppm
PH 7.2 - 7.3
Chlorine from blue box quick test - 1 - 2ppm

Here are a few pictures of it as well.

pool1_zpsflau0mch.jpg

pool2_zpssppjystx.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still at it today. I lost FC overnight was down to about 4 or 5ppm by 1pm today. I added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine then and turned on the pool robot to vacuum. I just tested FC again at 3pm and it was at 5ppm. I again added 2 more gallons of liquid chlorine. Am I not adding enough? The pool has been in full sun again today. Here is another picture. It does seem to be getting more blue than green but still very cloudy and just taking a lot of time. Is this also due to not having the main drain working, it will just take longer?

pool3_zps2oymihsg.jpg

I see a big color change with the two pics! Good job!

The most important part of the SLAM is M=maintain as in maintain the FC level for your CYA level. Test and redose at least 4 times at day. More often if you can.

Keep taking pics each day so you can see the difference. That will help yo KNOW it is working!

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim! Good point with the pictures, sometimes it's hard to remember if it is actually changing or not!
every day at the same time take a picture looking down at the steps. Wide angle shots like you are a taking can be deceiving. Looking down at the steps shows the water clearing better as you see the depth come in to view.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.