First Open - With numbers ran through calculator

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
So it is my first open. Just want to verify what I need to do.

Vinyl Pool, 24200 estimated gallons
Using TF-100 test kit

FC 5ppm
CC 0ppm
TC 5ppm
TA 160
CYA 50, maybe 55 I know this a little subjective
Calcium hardness 175ppm
PH 7.6
Bromine 10

I balanced before I closed and used Dohenys floating winter release thing(I'm new so I don't know if that was a good idea) in the pool all winter
I still have maybe a half hour/45 minutes to fill so actual numbers should come in slightly lower. Wanted to test before it started raining.

Pool math tells me to add 101 oz of 6% bleach
PH is fine it says
CYA is on the high end but falls pretty much in?
CH is fine, though I guess this is really more for non-vinyl pools?
Do I need to bring my TA down?

Good job on the testing. All things considered, those are pretty good numbers. I guess our biggest question is how does the water look? Is there any algae, green, or cloudiness? If there is, then you need to SLAM. If not, then you are in a good position to just maintain your levels. I would round-up the CYA to 60 and base your FC target on that. You're right .. CH is basically N/A for your pool unless it gets really high. The TA .... if your pH is stable, I wouldn't worry about the TA at the moment. If the pH begins to climb too fast this year, then you will want to lower TA at that time.

Thanks for the reply!
Pool is clear. (aside from some settled dirt I need to brush)
No cloudiness or algae etc.

I will bump the CYA in the calculator, add bleach and look to maintain this year. Looking forward to a TFP year.
Already so much better than going to the pool store like last year.

:goodjob: Nice work. Later, over the next few days, if you find anything looking odd or experience more than usual FC consumption, simply run an overnight (OCLT) test to see if there is anything "brewing". Other than that ..... enjoy your swimming season. :swim:

Good work!

Use your test kit to tell you where you are.....Use your acquired knowledge to learn what to do about it.

Bromine is not a test we use. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

You are doing things right but we want to teach you the confidence you need so you can help others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.