Opening green pool for summer! What should I do first?!

Ok, so I grabbed a new sample. Tested the PH, at first it read 7.0 and then after a few minutes is at 7.6. Since the sample I have is pretty chilled still Im going to wait until its a little closer to room temperature and test cya again!

Linda, I would suggest when testing any of the levels, bring your sample into the house to warm-up a bit. For pH, once you add the 5 red drops and gently mix, record that number right away. We don't let the solution sit or it will eventually change colors. With the CAY test, once the water is warm and you start to mix and pour into the skinny tube to view the black dot, do that viewing part outside with the bright sun at your back.

Ok so PH was 7.0 and CYA, doing it with my back against the light, I can still see the black dot @ 30. Thanks for the tips! So it seems I will be needing stabilizer. How would I measure that out? And also, is the PH too low?

Since your pool is green and you need to SLAM, you can leave the pH right there for now.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Ok, I put the stabilizer into the pool via the tube sock method. Waited a few hours and now the black dot completely disappears at 30. Am I ready to start using the bleach?

Yes, stick to just regular bleach now. There's no need to exhaust the SWG for a SLAM FC that it's not ideally designed for. I would suggest in the next day or two, check CYA one more time in case it floats up just a little more now that all the granules are dissolving. If later you find the CYA is closer to 40, then increase FC to 16. Review the SLAM page once a day or so to stay fresh with everything and you should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, Im trying to figure out the math for how much to use. We dont have a huge pool, it holds about 4000 gallons. I just cant seem to get how many gallons we'll need.

Ah great question! So the level of bleach is 100% dependent on that CYA/Stabilizer. TFP made the Chlorine / CYA Chart for you to see what your shock FC is. This is part of their Pool School Section that is all great reads. Even though you have a SWG (salt water generator) pretend that you do not for this SLAM. If you CYA is 30 (it could be higher, retest as they said to above in however many days they said) then as you will see on the chart your shock FC is 12.

Then, using PoolMath, we will enter the following to see how much bleach to add:
(In golden row) Pool Size 4000 gallons
(in light yellow row) FC Now 0
(in light yellow row also) FC Goal 12
(in the light yellow row a little more to right, very next box that you can enter something in) 8.25 [it will then change to say % weight]
(last thing in yellow row more to right) 28 oz from drop down box

it should look like this

Then like magic, it says you need to add 71 oz of that stuff to get to your goal!
If you hover your mouse over that 71oz it will show above it that it converts into 2 quarts 7 oz if you prefer that unit of measure

Last edited:
It ain't algebra-----I think you should play with Poolmath until you know what to do all the time. ONCE of me telling you ain't helping you. Ya' gotta learn to catch your own fish. Go play with it.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate everyones help!

- - - Updated - - -

I just didnt understand what to put where. I apologize if I frustrated you, Woodyp. I appreciate all your advice. BattleofYakima, that screen shot was exactly what I needed help with. Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken time out of their day to help me with this.

Glad I could help. woodyp is awesome and his advice is really quite good. I also encourage you to play with it, testing the options for each field. You can see how you would use it if you purchased 128oz or 121 oz bottles, or 10% strength, etc. remember that during the slam you will not be using 0 as the now start value, but rather whatever your FAS-DPD test says your current FC is.

Also be sure to scroll down and see the many things pool math can do. Plug in dimensions and get a great estimate for pool size. See what adding a certain amount of chemical would do for a pool of your gallon size. Nice to see what an entire jug would do, for example. Or a cup of MA. or whatever. That page is so awesome. Learning how to use it will make pool care as efficient as can be. no extra chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.