Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaining the pool with a solar blanket on

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

Maintaining the pool with a solar blanket on

I'm thinking about buying a solar blanket but had a question about pool maintenance. Do I need to take the cover off completely every time I need to add chemicals to the pool?

22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Maintaining the pool with a solar blanket on

Nope. Pull it back enough to add what you need and cover it back up.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Western NC

I take it off, and leave it off for at least half an hour after adding stuff.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

I've left my cover on for days at a time, doing exactly what ps0303 suggested.

If the pool is clean, there's nothing to outgas. I think the "let the pool breathe" idea is one of those things the pool store says without really understanding it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

At times, I pull my cover to allow about 1/4 of the pool uncovered while I add. Just a personal preference. That way I know I am not splashing the bleach on it, I'm clumsy at times, lol. (And my cover is a foot in diameter bigger than my pool and I didn't cut it to size)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!