Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hey y'all. Haven't posted in awhile but you probably knew I would be back:) A few years ago I noticed a couple of stains in the shallow end. They did not respond to Vit C nor pucks. With my pool surface I was the only one who noticed so I let it go. Probably should have added a sequestrant but that's hindsight:( Last year I noticed more and some on the side close to the shallow end return. Thought, O.K. better put a stop to this:mad: Knowing they didn't respond to either of the above mentioned I tried the AA treatment anyway. This was Wed. 4.5lbs AA, 18 oz. Poly 60. Nothing happened. Didn't even lighten them. I added 2 quarts of sequestrant Thurs. evening. Held a cut lemon on one of them for 30 mins this a.m. NOTHING. If is is cobalt staining, what will get rid of them?
My #'s this morning:
pH 7
Cl 0
CH 200
TA 50
CYA 40
Salt 2420
Temp 70

You might want to consider using Jacks Magic StainID Kit.

Why would you think it was cobalt staining??

One winter I let my CH get down to around 100. Maybe poor gelcoat? Just not sure why they wouldn't respond to Vit C nor the puck?? What would the stain kit tell me that I don't already know? They feel rough compare to the rest of the pool surface. Almost like hardened tar is the best way I can describe it.
Thanks for the reply Matt

But wouldn't the AA, lemon, or puck at least made some sort of difference if it were any of those stains????

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've read every thread on here about stains:cyclopsani: Seems most get results with citric acid or pucks. But noooooooooo, not me.

Old copper stains that have converted to CuO are very difficult to remove with either AA or citric acid. By the way, a lemon is only going to have a very small amount of citric acid in it, hardly enough to be useful.

Is it possible to remove them(if it is old copper) or is this something I will have to live with and continue to use sequestrant?? Didn't know that about lemons. But crushed vit C in a sock didn't budge them either.

Another question. Will the sequestrant affect my CH #'s??? BTW. My numbers are usually spot on according to TFP. These #'s are just because I'm dealing with these dang stains. I've always had a pH of about 7.6. Should I try to keep that down some due to the staining? If so what??

Try putting a vit C tablet on the stain for a couple or few hours and see what happens. For 11 or 12 bucks I agree that the Jacks stain kit is worth a shot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.