Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains respond to NOTHING

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains respond to NOTHING

Hey y'all. Haven't posted in awhile but you probably knew I would be back A few years ago I noticed a couple of stains in the shallow end. They did not respond to Vit C nor pucks. With my pool surface I was the only one who noticed so I let it go. Probably should have added a sequestrant but that's hindsight Last year I noticed more and some on the side close to the shallow end return. Thought, O.K. better put a stop to this Knowing they didn't respond to either of the above mentioned I tried the AA treatment anyway. This was Wed. 4.5lbs AA, 18 oz. Poly 60. Nothing happened. Didn't even lighten them. I added 2 quarts of sequestrant Thurs. evening. Held a cut lemon on one of them for 30 mins this a.m. NOTHING. If is is cobalt staining, what will get rid of them?
    My #'s this morning:
    pH 7
    Cl 0
    CH 200
    TA 50
    CYA 40
    Salt 2420
    Temp 70
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains respond to NOTHING

Here are some pics of the stains
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

You might want to consider using Jacks Magic StainID Kit.

Why would you think it was cobalt staining??
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

One winter I let my CH get down to around 100. Maybe poor gelcoat? Just not sure why they wouldn't respond to Vit C nor the puck?? What would the stain kit tell me that I don't already know? They feel rough compare to the rest of the pool surface. Almost like hardened tar is the best way I can describe it.
    Thanks for the reply Matt
    Lynn

5. Back To Top    #5

It will help to differentiate between organic stains, iron & cobalt, copper and calcium scale. Once you know which it is, Jack's Magic has a variety of different chemicals to help remove them.

See here - http://www.jacksmagic.com/pdfs/Stain-ID-Kit.pdf
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

But wouldn't the AA, lemon, or puck at least made some sort of difference if it were any of those stains????

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've read every thread on here about stains Seems most get results with citric acid or pucks. But noooooooooo, not me.
    Lynn

7. Back To Top    #7

Old copper stains that have converted to CuO are very difficult to remove with either AA or citric acid. By the way, a lemon is only going to have a very small amount of citric acid in it, hardly enough to be useful.
    Matt

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it possible to remove them(if it is old copper) or is this something I will have to live with and continue to use sequestrant?? Didn't know that about lemons. But crushed vit C in a sock didn't budge them either.
    Lynn

9. Back To Top    #9

Another question. Will the sequestrant affect my CH #'s??? BTW. My numbers are usually spot on according to TFP. These #'s are just because I'm dealing with these dang stains. I've always had a pH of about 7.6. Should I try to keep that down some due to the staining? If so what??
    Lynn

10. Back To Top    #10

Try putting a vit C tablet on the stain for a couple or few hours and see what happens. For 11 or 12 bucks I agree that the Jacks stain kit is worth a shot.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. I will give it a try and get the kit.
    Lynn