Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump Power Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump Power Question

I'm replacing a Pentair LA01N booster pump with the same model. Pump on a 220 breaker. I've wired it just the same as the old pump. See pic of original wiring. So the only connected wires are the green ground and a purple in the L2 position. There was a another loose purple wire. Problem is that the new pump has no power. It seems warm, but that's it. Any solutions?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Booster Pump Power Question

The loose, unconnected purple wire, goes to the other phillips head screw terminal L1 next to L2

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pool&spatech View Post
    The loose, unconnected purple wire, goes to the other phillips head screw terminal L1 next to L2
    Thanks. I tried that, still no power and the pump started to get hot and smell
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

4. Back To Top    #4

Frankly I have concerns about your electrical knowledge to be doing this.

This is 220. Both the purple wires are hot.

I would suspect it hooks in on the far right in L1

I'm concerned your pump was operating on 110 with the ground acting as a neutral

Is there a GFCI breaker before this?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a GFCI on the control panel. Not tripped and all other equipment working. The question is how a pump that worked with the wiring the photo is replaced with the same equipment, wired the same and doesn't work.

6. Back To Top    #6

My concern is that in your original motor whoever installed it had modified it for 110 operation and also did something so that the ground line was operating as the neutral. That's what is pictured though I'd have to see behind the panel.

Now you are trying to run 220 and you are not hooking the wires up correctly because you are following something appears to have been screwed up before.

Give us a picture of the new pump hookup please and let me look at that.

Yo
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I had pool repair guy check the pump. His verdict is that the pump is pulling 270 V. Thinks it's either a defective pump or something upstream. Any thoughts ?