Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Ladder and Patio After the Fact

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Ladder and Patio After the Fact

We have had one issue after another with our pool builder, so we are having them do whatever is necessary to finish things up and get the final inspection so we can wash our hands of them.

I have two quick questions -

Right now there is no patio around the pool. We're not sure what we're going to do, but we like the idea of a brick pool deck. The pool builder is bonding the pool as is. They said something about if we were pouring concrete there would have to be rebar and it would all have to be bonded together. But I assume if we just did gravel and sand, there wouldn't be any rebar, so that's a non-issue, correct?

Relatedly, we'd like to add a ladder at some point, which I understand also needs to be bonded. I assume it's simple to just bond that to the existing bonding?

Trying to make sense of all this, and having a hard time deciphering what's what from what I can find online, so hoping some of you wise folks here can help break it down for me.

Thanks!

New Orleans, 15,000 gallon IG free form Wet Edge Primera Stone Riviera Coast, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump (011018), Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter (160340), Rainbow R171096 Automatic Chlorine Feeder, TF-100 Test Kit, build March-June 2016, filled June 19

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding Ladder and Patio After the Fact

There will be no difficult issue with bonding. Bonding is simply connecting all the conductive parts of your pool. It will be easy for you to make those connections since one side of them is already exposed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response! Cool, that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure. And there won't be any bonding necessary for a gravel and sand base brick deck, correct?

New Orleans, 15,000 gallon IG free form Wet Edge Primera Stone Riviera Coast, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump (011018), Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter (160340), Rainbow R171096 Automatic Chlorine Feeder, TF-100 Test Kit, build March-June 2016, filled June 19

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

And there won't be any bonding necessary for a gravel and sand base brick deck, correct?
    I don't know
    that answer. Let's see what others say.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure, thanks again.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bump for others.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! 😆

8. Back To Top    #8

A gravel and sand brick deck requires a grid be placed under the deck within 3 feet of the pool. NEC 680.26 (B) (2). Go there for the details but generally it requires a copper grid of # 8 wire or you can substitute rebar.

Search "Mike Holt illustrated guide swimming pools" and chose the first link. That is a good primmer.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall